Re: GPS Enabled

Burt N Sammis

Sorry I have not gotten back to the group.  I have had other priorities that got in the way.
Robert I appreciate your suggestion on going into the RFport, etc. I am not computer literate to do that.
 I am listing the various settings on APSISIECW 32 and D710 settings
:
ENABLE
     checked   APRS-IS           enabled
     checked   Beaconing      enabled
     checked   GPS                 enabled
     checked   Internet acc   enabled
     checked   OMS Fetch              enabled

Menu View Logs
     Port NMEA
          Error opening ComPort 3

CONFIGURE
     Ports
          APRS-IS
          NMEA

D710
     Menu 602
          Baud rate - 4800 bps
          Input     GPS
          Output  Waypoint

Maybe the above can help clear this up.
Otherwise, I will go with what I have.  My problem if it available I want it to work.
Burt
AF5AA

From: "Rob Giuliano via groups.io" <kb8rco@...>
Date: 7/24/21 9:35 AM (GMT-06:00)

I don't have either, but a friend has the "nonG" model.

Glacing through the manual for the G model, I see there are different indicators, depending on which GPS is in use:
    iGPS     => internal
    GPS     => external connected tothe 2.5 mm jack.
Menu 500 still offers GPS OUTPUT (GPS data output to PC)    Default OFF
Menu 501 SENTENCES with the most common 4 as default
Then moving up to Menu 6xx
   602 has key setting
   603 more settings
   604 Another ON/OFF toggle, but for APRS.
          I wonder if you have need to turn this OFF to allow raw GPS to the PC.
          Some systems allow APRS as WAYPOINTS only and won't send raw GPS strings when requesting APRS output.
          I can't say fro this Kenwood.

I didn't see anything that indicated you couldn't output the internal GPS data

On Friday, July 23, 2021, 7:18:49 PM EDT, Jeff <groups.0acf@...> wrote:

Robert,

Burt indicates that he is using a "G" model 710 with the *internal* GPS.

The reason I point this out is that I have a 710 and was considering upgrading to the 710G at one point, but I thought I read somewhere that with the "G" model you cannot have the internal GPS data pass through to the serial port, and that pass through only works for an externally connected GPS unit on the "G" model.

Can anyone confirm whether this is true or not?

Jeff
N5TEV