Re: New weather station to APRS

James Ewen

I was writing the reply on my phone, and couldn’t go back in the previous email to look up the name of the file... I didn’t want to lose the email I was creating, so guessed at the name.

Other than that, Larry should be able to do some research into his equipment to figure out where to go from here.

Thanks for the correction Lynn!

On Thu, Apr 29, 2021 at 5:04 AM Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

James has it pretty straight, but you're looking for software that can create a wxnow.txt file.  That is the primary interface for weather stations to APRS, and the only one supported by APRSIS32.

aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:weather-stations

https://cumuluswiki.org/a/Wxnow.txt

On 4/29/2021 2:10 AM, James Ewen wrote:
You have the wrong equipment according to what little information you provide and what others are assuming.

If there is no way to get the data from your weather station into a computer running a program that will create a weathernow.txt  file, then there will be nothing for APRSISCE/32 to ingest and send out.

APRSISCE/32 needs access to the weather data. If it can’t access the weather data, then there will be no APRS weather beacon.

You need to integrate both the weather station and APRSISCE/32 to make this work.

If there is a way to get your weather station to create the appropriate file on the computer running APRSISCE/32, then get that set up and working and away you go.

You know what you have for equipment, dig into your manual and find out if you can get the information required to APRSISCE/32.

It’s always a good idea to figure out what you want to do, then do some research to determine what equipment you need to reach that goal, then buy the equipment and implement the plan.

Buying parts and then trying to make it do something it isn’t intended to do can be a challenge.

I don’t know specifically if your equipment is capable of doing what you need.

However, if you can see all the information you need on a web page, I would suspect that one could create some web scraping scripts that run on a cron job to scrape the data and create the required output and save it into a file.

It’s a bit of a work around to get the job done, but it might be a way to make what you have fit the bill if it can’t be done any other way.

Where there’s a will, there’s a way.

On Wed, Apr 28, 2021 at 11:24 PM Larry Springsteen via groups.io <wb8lbz=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
So TW gets it, Brian gets it and I still have no clue.

73, Larry  WB8LBZ
El Paso, TX
--
James