Re: Telemetry EQNS oddity

Arnold Harding - KQ6DI

As far as I can tell, the only difference between being picked up as intended by APRSISce is the leading zero if the parameter is negative less than zero.  So,  -.644  does not work, and  I believe  -0.644  will work.  So I believe I need to add the leading zero back in.

But aprs.fi gets it as I intended.  Either way, the equation is picked up in the correct placement, just the wrong value in 2 parameters with APRSISCE.  So in a week or so, I'll be back and add that leading zero in again.

Arnold, KQ6DI

On 04/10/2021 6:17 PM Rob Giuliano via groups.io <kb8rco@...> wrote:

Sorry, looked in the wrong spot.
I was looking at more of a description, not an example; http://www.aprs.net/vm/DOS/TELEMTRY.HTM

FORMAL SPECIFICATION: The specific format for the TITLE, PARM, UNIT, and EQNS message packets are shown below. They are entered as messages to the address of the MIM module:

  PARM.P1,P2,P3,P4,P5,B1,B2,B3,etc    Where Pn and Bn are the parameter names

UNIT,U1,U2,U3,U4,U5,L1,L2,L3,etc Where Un are the units for analog ports and Ln are the labels for the bits

EQNS,A1,B1,C1,A2,B2,C2,A3,B3,C3,etc Where the An,Bn,Cn are the coeficients for each of the five analog channels,

I should have looked just above it at the actual packet format:
N3MIM:EQNS.0,2.6,0,0,.53,-32,3,4.39,49,-32,3,18,1,2,3
Not sure what the colon at the beggining of your packet is from.

On Saturday, April 10, 2021, 8:00:53 PM EDT, Arnold Harding - KQ6DI <kq6di@...> wrote:

According to the APRS 101 specification
Page 70, the specification calls for a decimal point after EQNS.  Here's from the specification.
Example:N0QBF-11 :EQNS.0,5.2,0,0,.53,-32,3,4.39,49,-32,3,18,1,2,3

You made me look, so that's OK.  The fact that aprs.fi gets it one way ( as I intended) and APRSISCE doesn't makes me wonder if APRSISCE isn't getting it the way intended.  (I'm not suggesting APRSISCE is wrong, it just doesn't come out the same way.)
My guess is I need a leading zero after the negative sign before the decimal point on negative less than 1 calculations.
Arnold, KQ6DI

On 04/10/2021 4:24 PM Rob Giuliano via groups.io <kb8rco@...> wrote:

The format is    EQNS ,A1,B1,C1,A2,B2,C2,A3,B3,C3,etc.

You missed the comma (used a decimal)
So your     :KQ6DI-1 :EQNS.0,-.644,150,0,-.5,-190,0,1,0,0,.625,0
 should be :KQ6DI-1 :EQNS,0,-.644,150,0,-.5,-190,0,1,0,0,.625,0

On Saturday, April 10, 2021, 2:27:32 PM EDT, Arnold Harding - KQ6DI <kq6di@...> wrote:

I think I may have done something outside the specification, or there is an error somewhere.  I changed telemetry EQNS to remove some leading zeros, and APRSISCE doesn't pick the values out.  What I am sending is:
:KQ6DI-1 :EQNS.0,-.644,150,0,-.5,-190,0,1,0,0,.625,0

aprs.fi picks out the values correctly ( at least as I intended ), but APRSISCE doesn't pick up part of the equation.
Channel 1 b=0 should be -.644
Channel 2 b=0 and should be -.5

It worked before when I had leading zeros in the equation like -0.644 and -0.5.
But notice that channel 4 did pick up the correct number of .625.

So my guess is that negative values less than one must have a leading zero and become -0.644 and -0.5.  Do I need those leading zeros on negative values?

That site only sends telemetry parameters once a day at 09:03, IF the RF makes it out of this RF hole.  It's also 3 hours each way for me to change parameters, so I won't make a special trip for this.

Arnold, KQ6DI