Re: Important Info regarding the SCS tracker I learned from Lynn!

Lynn Deffenbaugh

The biggest lesson to be learned by all is if you see any messages in a KISS-type port trace log that mentions "Missing C0", that means that the TNC said something to APRSIS32 that was not wrapped in a proper KISS packet, likely meaning the TNC is NOT in KISS mode no matter whose instructions were followed to supposedly put it there.

And the Transmit menu option wasn't triggering an actual PTT from the TNC, reinforcing the fact that APRSIS32 and the TNC were likely not communicating properly.

The actual one-liner from the SCS Tracker / APRSIS32 configuration guide at https://robust-packet.net/Robust-Packet-Network-Manual.pdf is:

Anyhow, when restarting APRSIS32 it is vital to switch the tracker powerless for a second (under investigation).

It's only that line coupled with the knowledge of what "Missing C0" means to APRSIS32 that allowed us to get his installation this far.  Presumably it's working but his APRSIS32 instance still hasn't actually copied a packet from the SCS Tracker.  And my own RPR work is not using any SCS hardware, but the new WinRPR sound-card TNC implementation.

On 1/19/2021 6:45 AM, todd.dugdale@... wrote:
So this entire epic saga had nothing to do with APRSIS32, or even with APRS at all? It was just technical support for a poorly-documented piece of hardware.
As someone who muted the original tedious and endless discussion, I especially appreciate how it was turned into a new topic so that everyone who tuned out of the 'thrilling' daily drama got to hear the eye-rolling conclusion.