Re: Newbie question...

Arnold Harding - KQ6DI

Can't the displayed name just be changed to KISS (Kenwood)?  So the only change is what the user sees when selecting KISS.

That's my thought, but it's never just that simple.
Arnold, KQ6DI

On 12/17/2020 4:12 PM Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

Yeah, and hindsight is always 20/20.  I did the KISS when it was the only mode supported and Kenwood is all I had access to.  And since then, I haven't figured out how to change it without breaking all of the installations out there that are using a KISS-type port.  Eventually I'll get an inspiration.

On 12/17/2020 7:03 PM, James Ewen wrote:
I would suggest not naming the Kenwood specific configuration as KISS for a start. Most implementations that have a KISS mode configuration have it set to work in KISS mode. Something for a specific hardware configuration like the Kenwood radio would probably be better labelled Kenwood KISS.

Clarity is a wonderful thing to strive for.

Hoping everyone stays safe, healthy and sane this non-traditional holiday season.

James
VE6SRV

On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 4:56 PM Lynn Deffenbaugh < kj4erj@...> wrote:

Good to know that was it.  I really need to figure out how to document the legacy "KISS" mode better somewhere.

On 12/17/2020 4:35 PM, W9PFD wrote:
Thanks for the info and explanation on "COM4 OK"

You were correct that I had selected KISS rather than Simply(KISS).  Created a new port using Simply(KISS),  [and deleted the old one]  and PERMed  INTFACE KISS  into the KPC2.  Appears to be working on RF channel as well as Internet now.

A lot to learn in switching software.

Thanks for your help and your work on this.

Dave - W9PFD
--
James
VE6SRV