Re: Internet only stations

Brian Webster

Thanks guys. That’s the answer we needed.

Brian N2KGC

From: APRSISCE@groups.io [mailto:APRSISCE@groups.io] On Behalf Of Lynn Deffenbaugh
Sent: Monday, November 23, 2020 10:47 AM
To: APRSISCE@groups.io
Subject: Re: [APRSISCE] Internet only stations

Oh, and to filter for only APRS-IS direct packets, add a +d/TCPIP which restricts the matching packets to only those with TCPIP in their "digipeater" path.

On 11/23/2020 10:44 AM, Lynn Deffenbaugh wrote:

And if you want to only include position packets (likely), add a "+t/p" to the buddy filter, separated by a space.  Otherwise you'll end up gating ALL packets from the buddy stations which is probably more than you're interested in if those stations happen to generate telemetry or inject objects to the APRS-IS.

On 11/23/2020 10:25 AM, Rob Giuliano via groups.io wrote:

That question was answered as part of the thread (slightly edited):

On Sunday, November 22, 2020, 4:07:25 PM EST, Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

Yes, the checkboxes govern "normal" IGate functionality.  To gate arbitrary packets from the APRS-IS to RF, follow the steps below:

1) Hit Control-G to enter a test filter.   Something like " b/call1-SS/call2-SS/call3-SS +t/p +d/TCPIP
    Note the "+" qualifier is APRSIS32-specific and joins that filter term with an AND instead of the
    default OR for filter terms.

2) After monitoring the test filter trace log for a while to ensure that you're not getting TOO many packets...

3) Hit Control-I to adopt (Implement) the filter and gate those packets to your RF port(s) as 3rd party packets.

Note that there is nothing in the filter spec to prevent gating filter-selected packets to RF for stations that were seen on RF.  So if you have any RF stations beaconing to the APRS-IS directly, you'll end up 3rd party gating their APRS-IS packets back to RF.

Filtered gating from the APRS-IS to RF is not something to be taken lightly.  It is fraught with peril and quite likely to flood the local RF channel, particularly if an unexpected, mis-behaving APRS-IS station starts matching your filter.

I really recommend individual station filtering through the buddy (b/) filter rather than any range-based filter.  That way you are individually selecting the stations that you will be using.

b/call1-SS/call2-SS/call3-SS +t/p +d/TCPIP

And play with the filters (without the Control-I) for days, weeks, or even months before the event so that you get an idea of just what packets are being select.  And even then, when the actual event starts and additional stations come out of the woodwork, you have to keep an eye on things so they don't run amok.

PS.  The Control-G/Control-I is purposely not persistent and must be re-configured after every APRSIS32 restart.  It is designed for targetted use and not routine, ongoing, (and likely) unmonitored gating of APRS-IS packets to the local RF environment.

I do not recall the maximum number of callsigns you can put into the buddy filter, but you should be able to look that up

 or just find see if you hit a limit.

On Monday, November 23, 2020, 12:21:56 AM EST, Brian Webster via groups.io <radiowebst@...> wrote:

The original poster would be happy with just using the buddy filter option. This particular evolution he only wanted to send particular stations traffic back over RF. So learning how to do the buddy filter back out over RF would be the solution he would like to use. I am not 100% sure how to do it in APRSISCE myself. I was the one who actually wanted to see the phones that were connected only to the IS. I like to run my station on RF only and was not seeing the IS only users using a phone app.

What would be the proper procedure in the software to gate only specific station out over RF?

Brian N2KGC