Re: Internet only stations

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Yes, the checkboxes govern "normal" IGate functionality.  To gate arbitrary packets from the APRS-IS to RF, follow the steps below:

1) Hit Control-G to enter a test filter.   Something like "m/10 +t/p +d/TCPIP" would get you stations within 10 km of your current location, must be posit packets and have TCPIP in their "digipeater" path.  Note the "+" qualifier is APRSIS32-specific and joins that filter term with an AND instead of the default OR for filter terms.

2) After monitoring the test filter trace log for a while to ensure that you're not getting TOO many packets...

3) Hit Control-I to adopt the filter and gate those packets to your RF port(s) as 3rd party packets.

Note that there is nothing in the filter spec to prevent gating filter-selected packets to RF for stations that were seen on RF.  So if you have any RF stations beaconing to the APRS-IS directly, you'll end up 3rd party gating their APRS-IS packets back to RF.

Filtered gating from the APRS-IS to RF is not something to be taken lightly.  It is fraught with peril and quite likely to flood the local RF channel, particularly if an unexpected, mis-behaving APRS-IS station starts matching your filter.

I really recommend individual station filtering through the buddy (b/) filter rather than any range-based filter.  That way you are individually selecting the stations that you will be using.  Something like the following in place of the m/10 shown above.

b/call1-SS/call2-SS/call3

And play with the filters (without the Control-I) for days, weeks, or even months before the event so that you get an idea of just what packets are being select.  And even then, when the actual event starts and additional stations come out of the woodwork, you have to keep an eye on things so they don't run amok.

PS.  The Control-G/Control-I is purposely not persistent and must be re-configured after every APRSIS32 restart.  It is designed for targetted use and not routine, ongoing, (and likely) unmonitored gating of APRS-IS packets to the local RF environment.

On 11/22/2020 12:35 PM, Rob Giuliano via groups.io wrote:
I am pretty sure the check boxes are for 2-way traffic messaging.  So a message that starts on RF and goes through IS can be replied to - provided it didn't get into the system from a listen only IGATE.

One way traffic (like position reports) can get tricky because you can easily overwhelm the RF system with the volume of traffic from the internet.  This can be done with the development version of APRSIS32 through a special filter after testing.
  <Ctrl>G   and set a filter to limited what goes from IS to RF
This should be specific enough to ensure that only the information for your event is gated to RF from your igate.  This might be rather difficult.

I don't remember the next <Ctrl> key to have APRSIS32 use the test filter and start the process.  You will have to check the WIKI or maybe someone else.

On Sunday, November 22, 2020, 11:52:07 AM EST, John Rudolph <john@...> wrote:

On Halloween we ran an ARES event, Pumpkin Patrol, and had many of our posts run various cellphone APRS apps since few have RF rigs. I was using APRSIS via agwpe to igate the traffic to the RF only stations but the cellphone only stations while showing on aprs.fi were never igated. In settings I had everything selected to igate but it still didnt work. Any suggestions on why that may be and how do I make it work for future events?