Re: Old TNC's

James Ewen

“but such is progress...“

You are of course being disingenuous here, right?

APRS is a protocol stacked on top of 1980’s hardware, using chewing gum and baling wire.

Bob’s baby has squeezed a lot of life out of 40 year old equipment, there’s no denying that, but to think this is progress...

I guess the automobile industry in Cuba is also making great progress as well.

I love APRS, it is probably my favourite part of amateur radio, but is anyone here interested in investing in actually making progress? Progress would mean moving to newer hardware, hardware that would remove the limits of 1200 baud, probably something with an SDR base, and a whole new way of defining the protocols we use. Something designed from the ground up, not something that uses clever tricks to make old hardware work in a new way.

We are kind of stuck in a rut today because there’s so much old hardware out there that we don’t want to throw out. But that old hardware handcuffs us to 1200 baud.

I’m not going to be the one to lead the charge, but there are some really smart cookies out there that are building some cutting edge hardware that might be a base for the next big thing to take over for APRS. For that to succeed, we need to be willing to let the old hardware go, and embrace new technologies.

It’s up to all of us to be willing to help the next big thing become that big thing.

James
VE6SRV

On Sun, Nov 8, 2020 at 3:38 PM Greg D <ko6th.greg@...> wrote:
Yep.  MFJ-1278T in use here.  Seems a waste to run it in KISS-1200 mode, given it's huge mailbox and added 2400bps modem, but such is progress...

Greg  KO6TH

Brian Webster via groups.io wrote:

They work great for APRS, any program that needs a kiss TNC. I still run my daily. The only time it’s not ideal is when you need the TNC on a node site that needs special firmware in the eprom. Only a few TNC’s that are TAPR 2 clones (paccomm, MFJ 1270 series) are suitable for those chips. Normal packet users can use just about any type of TNC. The PK88 uses the same command set as a TNC2.

Brian N2KGC