Re: Telemetry

Robert Bruninga

THey would be separate packets.  One packet would contain the value as air temperature and the other packet would contain the value for water temp.  This is not to suggest more packets on the air!  But to suggest that low-rate changing telemetry items can be shared this way but their sampling then is effectively half.  Using PTT to toggle a flipflop to alternate the switching in of values would be one way to do it.  Bob

On Sat, Nov 7, 2020 at 3:25 AM Kako Lizares via groups.io <kilo_279=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

On Friday, October 16, 2020, 06:39:41 AM GMT+8, Fred Hillhouse <fmhillhouse@...> wrote:

Hi Bob,

You mentioned you can get 10 channels of data. One example was charging/discharging a battery. Those two items are exclusive of each other. But if I had, for example, air temperature and water temperature and those were in the “333” location (T#sss,111,222,333,444,555...), do I send two packets? One packet for the lower half (000-499) and another packet for the upper half (500-999)? Or does the packet end up being longer as in, T#sss,111,222,333,444,555,666,777,888,999,000?

Thank you!

Best regards,

Fred N7FMH

From: APRSISCE@groups.io [mailto:APRSISCE@groups.io] On Behalf Of Robert Bruninga
Sent: Tuesday, October 13, 2020 11:48 PM
To: APRSISCE@groups.io
Subject: Re: [APRSISCE] Telemetry

OOPS,

Apparently I never wrote it into the spec, just asuemd everyone agreed it made sense.

So I did add it to the APRS1.2 page in April of this year.

See spec additions:  http://aprs.org/aprs12.html

THe original spec was clearly defined as 5 channels of fixed 3 digit values.  It became obvious that 000-999 also fit within the fields and so it made no sense to limit values to 000-255

Bob

On Tue, Oct 13, 2020 at 11:42 PM Robert Bruninga via groups.io <bruninga=usna.edu@groups.io> wrote:

All of my APRS satellites have assumed that 000-999 is perfectly legit in the standard telemetry format.

And other telemetry projects of mine.  I think I changed the spec in about 2004, though AE5PL refuses to acknowledge it in his decoders.

'bob

On Tue, Oct 13, 2020 at 6:09 PM Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

Nope.  I don't remember that, but Hessu has proposed extending beyond
the 0-255 values and there's also a Mic-E version of telemetry that goes
directly in the position packet comment.

Do you have a reference for Bob's proposal?

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ - Author of APRSISCE for Windows Mobile and Win32

On 10/13/2020 5:12 PM, Fred Hillhouse wrote:
> Hi Lynn,
>
> It seems not that long ago that Bob, WB4APR, mentioned a possibility to have
> more telemetry by flipping a bit in the packet. Did you see the post and
> have you done anything to possibly support it?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Best regards,
> Fred N7FMH
>
>
>

Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com

Join APRSISCE@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.