Re: Central Florida, Identifying a station in the packet string

John KC4LZN

Rob,

Because the -9 and the -14 was heard on two individual packets, having come from two different locations is my reasoning thinking that it is not the WC4PEM repeaters.

I will confirm with the Polk County Emergency Management team that owns those repeaters and find out and make sure.

Yes, understand that the WIDE2 is not a call sign but the injection of the last hop where it is in place in lieu of the call to end the digipeat, or at least that is what I remember so that is why I'm thinking this is going to be tough to trace out but we'll see.

73
John

On Tue, Sep 22, 2020, 14:05 Rob Giuliano via groups.io <kb8rco=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
The WIDE2* is the path component of WIDE2-2 with all hops used.
The full trace would look something like this:
   WA4ISB-1>APMI06,WIDE2-2:@211337z2720.62N/08230.48W_ 358/ t077r000p000P000h76b10149WA4IS B weather
   WA4ISB-1>APMI06,NI4CE-11,WIDE2-1:@211337z2720.62N/08230.48W_ 358/ t077r000p000P000h76b10149WA4IS B weather
   WA4ISB-1>APMI06,NI4CE-11,WC4PEM-14,WIDE2*:@211337z2720.62N/08230.48W_ 358/ t077r000p000P000h76b10149WA4IS B weather
So WIDE2* is not a callsign at all.

How confident are you in the WC4PEM callsign not being the issue?
Since the DIGI's are all used up in what was recorded from the repeatrer, it is unlikely someone else would DIGI the packet again (shouldn't), so either it is the last callsign-ssid or it is more likley someone is injecting the packet from IS to RF which is not identified.

On Tuesday, September 22, 2020, 1:50:47 PM EDT, John KC4LZN <kc4lzn@...> wrote:

Rob,

Agreed, the replication you made would be what I would believe to be true but because both -9 and -14 are repeating the signal, I don't think they are transmitting on the input of our local repeater. Both of those digipeaters have been in service for a very long time. I will reach out to the Polk County Emergency Management team and ask if they've made any changes but would think that to be unlikely but there is always that 1% probability.

I'm thinking the digipeating station's call sign is the inserted WIDE2 and it's going to be a tough one to track down, next to some type of triangulation along with a number of other hams participating in trying to isolate the source. A fox hound hunt would be a bit difficult too because there is no rhyme or reason to the transmissions.

Thanks for the reply and I'll keep working on it in hopes I can get a source.

73
John

On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 11:51 AM Rob Giuliano via groups.io <kb8rco=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Looking at the TX station on aprs.fi it appears he is sending with a path of only WIDE2.
I am not sure which day you copied the messages, so it is tough match timestamps.

For your data below, from a DIGI standpoint it was handled by NI4CE-11 and WC4PEM-14 (or WC4PEM-9 for second packet) which used up the 2 hops.
  So, it is most likley one of those 2 callsigns.

I am trying to remember the order of insertion, but I think it is left to right, so it would have followed this:
WA4ISB-1>APMI06,WIDE2-2:@211337z2720.62N/08230.48W_ 358/ t077r000p000P000h76b10149WA4IS B weather
WA4ISB-1>APMI06,NI4CE-11,WIDE2-1:@211337z2720.62N/08230.48W_ 358/ t077r000p000P000h76b10149WA4IS B weather
WA4ISB-1>APMI06,NI4CE-11,WC4PEM-14,WIDE2*:@211337z2720.62N/08230.48W_ 358/ t077r000p000P000h76b10149WA4IS B weather

From that it appears WC4PEM was the last callsign (with SSID of 14) to handle the packet.
Of course it still could be someone gating from IS to RF incorrectly.

On Tuesday, September 22, 2020, 8:30:41 AM EDT, John KC4LZN <kc4lzn@...> wrote:

First, this is one of only a few, active APRS channels that I have been a member of for some time and need some help with my memory in deciphering the packet string on an APRS system.

I live in Central Florida and in the past few months, I have been hearing the proverbial burst of packet on our local repeater. The repeater is N4FLA 147.255.

I set up my TT4 and tuned to the repeater output and captured nothing but garbage, thinking it was only capturing a portion of the string and it wasn't able to decipher it, missing the first part of the burst.

Next test was to listen to the input at 147.855, squelch open, hoping that the station was close enough for me to hear so I could capture the full string. Well? Success, sort of.

One, I was able to capture a string and did a screen capture of the data but failed to save the file in its entirety but think I have enough to go on. But, because this identifying station was on the end of the string, I'm not sure I'm going to be able to ID just who it is that is digi'ing this signal.

I have two  received packets and here is the initial part of the string.

WA4ISB-1>APMI06,NI4CE-11,WC4PEM-14,WIDE2*:@211337z2720.62N/08230.48W_ 358/ t077r000p000P000h76b10149WA4IS B weather

WA4ISB-1>APMI06,NI4CE-11,WC4PEM-9,WIDE2*:@0211337z2720.62N/0823048W_358/ t077r000p000P000h76b10149WA4IS B weather

It is a digi of a WX packet. Most of it was trunked because I didn't have the window open enough to capture all of it. If memory serves me correct, the WIDE2* was the digi'ing station. The two strings are from what appears from two different digipeaters but I doubt both of them are trying to transmit on our input. My thought is, the WIDE2* is the digi'ing station without the identifier of who they actually are and that isn't unusual, if the protocol serves me correct.

DB0ANF used to be a database website, accessible to identify who was a digipeater but that site has since gone silent and I don't know of any other site that was doing things quite like he was. Is there another site like that one that collects data to possibly see data like that?

Can someone, one, refresh my memory on the protocol and two, possibly try and monitor the input of our local frequency to see if they can capture any more than I am in hopes to identify this station so we can correct their transmit digi?

73
John
KC4LZN
EL98ds