Re: Bluetooth w/ Kenwood TH-D74

James Ewen

I'm a dummy... you have to tell the devices to connect, and then tell them, "Yes, it's okay to connect." on both ends. I will add this to the wiki entry.

James
VE6SRV

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 4:31 PM James Ewen via groups.io <ve6srv=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
I'd love to clear the paired devices... haven't been able to get them to pair.

I'll play some more when I get home. Maybe they were naughty and partially paired behind my back! I have tried turning off all the data being sent to ensure that that wasn't interfering with the attempt to pair.

James
VE6SRV

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 3:25 PM Arnold Harding. - KQ6DI <kq6di@...> wrote:
James,
What I believe worked, was:
Clearing the Paired Devices in the TH-D74.  Menu 931, manual page 18-2.
Only enable KISS through Bluetooth.  Menu 983.  I have the others off.
In my PC, I needed to remove the TH-D74 in the Bluetooth list.  That wasn't the easiest to find.

Then I paired.
then set up APRSIS32 port, enable KISS 12 in the radio.

My uneducated guess is I paired without the KISS enabled.  So when I tried to connect later with KISS, the pairing didn't match.  That's my wild guess.
Arnold, KQ6DI
On 08/25/2020 1:53 PM James Ewen <ve6srv@...> wrote:

So the issue does not seem to be the settings to use to pass the proper data between the radio and the computer, but rather getting the radio to be able to create a Bluetooth pairing with the computer.

Most Bluetooth connections require the two devices that are to be communicating with each other to be paired together.

That appears to be the step that is not discussed yet, and the step that I am currently stuck on.

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 2:47 PM Mitch Smith < pxls2prnt@...> wrote:
Excellent news, Arnold! I hope to get mine set up properly tonight.

I suspect you won't have many issues once you disconnect and use the HT for voice, and then reconnect...assuming the Bluetooth will allow it to connect again. I've not ran into issue with APRSIS32 not working once I'm reconnected via Bluetooth.

—Mitch Smith, N7USU

--
James
VE6SRV