Re: Tile Set Storage #poll-notice

Lynn Deffenbaugh

You are correct Greg, it's only the local storage and not the source.  As long as the source does OSM-compatible tiles, then the new MBTiles storage format works.  And as a bonus, it will track real server-supplied expirations instead of arbitrary local deleting on age.

And for my tile server, it will handle meta-tile fetching (64 tiles in a single file) and IPFS transport of those meta-tiles.

On 8/25/2020 4:20 PM, Greg D wrote:
Hi Lynn,

So, to clarify, this only relates to the internally-managed tile storage, and is independent of where those tiles come from.  Right?

I do use different map data sources, for different kinds of maps.  OSM is just one; others include USGS Topo, Mapquest Aerial, etc.  If we're not affecting the use of other maps, and getting more efficient tile management (disk space, especially), that works for me.

Greg  KO6TH

Lynn Deffenbaugh wrote:

For those that may be wondering where this poll is going, I'm trying to work out how to integrate MBTiles storage into APRSIS32.  I'd really like to cut and switch and auto-convert all existing tile storage to MBTiles databases, but I cannot do this if tile sets are shared outside of APRSIS32.

At the same time, I'm still working on using IPFS to distribute (meta)tiles that are not immediately needed, like prefetches.  I have this (mostly) working in an upcoming version of TestHost(APRSISMO), but of course only for my tile server, although I've got an idea of how to support it for the OSM tile servers as well.

On 8/25/2020 11:02 AM, Lynn Deffenbaugh wrote:

A new poll has been created:

How attached are you to map tile storage in an OSM-compatible file hierarchy?  Do you share tiles outside of APRSIS32?

1. Very attached, I share multiple tile set trees with other programs.
2. Somewhat attached, I sometimes access tile set trees with other programs.
3. Not attached at all, I only share tile sets among APRSIS32 instances.
4. Not attached at all, I never share tile sets anywhere!
5. I share tile sets, but only by manually copying tile set trees around and sure wish this was easier!
6. I know what map tile storage is, but what is an OSM-compatible file hierarchy?
7. What is a tile? I thought that was something that goes on the floor and shower walls.

Vote Now