https://github.com/mapbox/mbtiles-spec

and just to continue the semi-related topic

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiled_web_map

On 8/25/2020 11:48 AM, Glenn O'Connor wrote:

Does MBTiles stand for Milton-Bradley Tiles and can I buy a box of those? Is it suitable for ages 3-8?

Glenn-KF0ED

From: APRSISCE@groups.io <APRSISCE@groups.io> On Behalf Of Lynn Deffenbaugh
Sent: Tuesday, August 25, 2020 10:33 AM
To: APRSISCE@groups.io
Subject: Re: [APRSISCE] Tile Set Storage #poll-notice

I'm not aware of a tool, but since I'll likely be writing an importer (tree to MBTiles), it's almost a a no-brainer to write and exporter (MBTiles to tree).

On 8/25/2020 11:22 AM, Rob Giuliano via groups.io wrote:

I have share Tiles with other programs, but REALLY, REALLY like the MBTiles storage.

I'd prefer sharing MBTiles storage files with other apps, but can't control what others do.

Is there a tool (assuming external) for extracting the tiles from the MBTiles that would allow sharing the trees when needed?

On Tuesday, August 25, 2020, 11:05:56 AM EDT, Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

For those that may be wondering where this poll is going, I'm trying to work out how to integrate MBTiles storage into APRSIS32.  I'd really like to cut and switch and auto-convert all existing tile storage to MBTiles databases, but I cannot do this if tile sets are shared outside of APRSIS32.

At the same time, I'm still working on using IPFS to distribute (meta)tiles that are not immediately needed, like prefetches.  I have this (mostly) working in an upcoming version of TestHost(APRSISMO), but of course only for my tile server, although I've got an idea of how to support it for the OSM tile servers as well.

On 8/25/2020 11:02 AM, Lynn Deffenbaugh wrote:

A new poll has been created:

How attached are you to map tile storage in an OSM-compatible file hierarchy?  Do you share tiles outside of APRSIS32?

1. Very attached, I share multiple tile set trees with other programs.
2. Somewhat attached, I sometimes access tile set trees with other programs.
3. Not attached at all, I only share tile sets among APRSIS32 instances.
4. Not attached at all, I never share tile sets anywhere!
5. I share tile sets, but only by manually copying tile set trees around and sure wish this was easier!
6. I know what map tile storage is, but what is an OSM-compatible file hierarchy?
7. What is a tile? I thought that was something that goes on the floor and shower walls.

Vote Now