Re: RF to IS (Igate Question)

Rich

I have the dubious distinction of being one of the few igates in this part of NE PA according to APRS.fi.  Lots of digipeaters but no igates.  I liken that distinction to being the elephant (big ears) in the room with a bunch of alligators (big mouths, e.g. repeaters.)  I hear most of the digipeater traffic and send it to the internet.

Ya play the hand you are dealt.  :)

On Sat, Aug 22, 2020 at 11:35 Rob Giuliano via groups.io <kb8rco=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

But that is exactly my point.  I understand wanting to contribute.
Not trying to say this 'isn't contributing".

The system may work just fine (now) if this (or that) station is removed, but if too many in the area did the same thing, the system would break.  Keeping your igate up is not a bad thing - unless it is also DIGIing and over flowing the RF capability.  It is there to be used when needed.  Add battery backup or other capability that will continue to feed in power outage or something and your backup becomes even more important.

It is also important to look at the network (as I suggest below) to see why.  If your station becomes a backup - good.  If your station is not contributing for another reason, you can dig deeper.  If other igates are closer, you are VERY unlikely to win no matter how high you put your antenna.

On Saturday, August 22, 2020, 11:17:27 AM EDT, Mike Jordan <mjordan@...> wrote:

Hi Robert, for some of us, the reason we set up an APRS station is to be
able to contribute and do something for the ham community. Maybe getting
enjoyment out of being able to provide something for others is old
fashion and out of style, but that is why I do it.  What is the fun of
setting up a station if a few super stations with lots of power, high
antennas, super fast internet speeds, etc., get to do all of the
transferring of APRS information?  That means there really is no need
for my station or any number of stations in my area to even attempt to
participate.

So yes, it is natural for some of us to wonder and question if our
stations are even doing any good and if not, is there anything we can do
that will improve our contribution to the APRS system. Ever since I've
set up my station 4 months or so ago, I've looked a number of times to
see if my IGate was doing anything for the APRS community around me. I
think it is, but then they were doing fine before I set up and would do
fine if I take it down... but like the original poster of this thread, I
still wonder if my station is doing any good at all.

We each do this for our own reasons, it's human nature.

Mike
KJ4TX

--
72,