Re: RF to IS (Igate Question)

Rob Giuliano

I don't understand the question.
   There is no reward for providing the most packets to the APRS system.
Why is it so important to have "your igate" be the one that gets the packet posted?
   The point here is to ensure all packets ARE POSTED. And it appears they are.
    If the packets are being handled, then the system is working.

If someone else is the one that posts them, there are a number of reasons - none are bad!
1.  The packet was sent direct over IP, and over over RF
     Sorry, you will NEVER win!
2.  Other igates are closer and receiving the packet before you
     How many hops have been used before you hear the packet?
        Any one of those hops may also be an Igate.
3. You antenna is higher than everyone else and they et the signal first.
    Kind of sounds funny to type out.
    Truth is: that additional height is not likely to make a difference,
       unless that is another igate right next to yours (like next door).

If you are really that interested, you can do a little research to see how things are working.
Go to aprs.fi (or other site that gives details) and choose some stations near you to see
who did gate them.  Compare the stations location and distance to that igate to that station and
your location.  If the distance to your station is closer, you can consider improvements.  If not,
then you are just not in an area where APRS stations are transmitting from.

On Saturday, August 22, 2020, 1:33:03 AM EDT, timcholdas@... <timcholdas@...> wrote:

Hello All!

Just downloaded and set up the software for use as an RX/TX Igate. Wow, what a wonder program! For as many features as it has, it really works so well and is very intuitive.

I am using Direwolf as a software TNC from my Yaesu radio hooked to a vertical at 70 feet. I'm hearing a ton of stations (verified by selecting RF only for both the map view and scroll). Unfortunately, I'm barely uploading any to the IS per aprs.fi. Maybe 1 out of every 100 received are being uploaded to the IS. From what I understand, if packets are duplicated, the first one takes priority and the others that are received by servers are disregarded. I'm wondering how/ why the other Igates are beating mine in uploading to the IS. Is direwolf slower than hardware based TNC's? I tried the rotate.aprs2 server as well as noam.aprs2. Everything is working fine per se, just seems to not upload nearly as much as it receives.

How can I "speed it up"?

I've been a long time APRS user and am wanting to give back to the community by adding some coverage.

73 all,
Tim