Re: RX/TX From radio/tnc

Brian Webster N2KGC

If your TNC is permanently in Kiss mode then Putty probably won’t work. Putty over the serial port is looking for a standard serial to device connection, not kiss. The only thing that will talk to the TNC will be a program that speaks the kiss protocol.

If you are using a USB to serial adapter, keep in mind that if you remove the USB plug and plug it in to any other USB port it will then get a new com port assignment in most cases. If you are using a USB to serial adapter also check to make sure that adapter is not one of the prolific chipset models.  There was a problem with counterfeit prolific chipsets so Windows updated the drivers to validate the chipset and if it was a counterfeit the driver won’t work (there is a way to use old drivers but you have to look up how to do that). For newer versions of windows it is best to get a newer SUB to serial adapter that uses the FTDI chipset.

Brian N2KGC

From: APRSISCE@groups.io [mailto:APRSISCE@groups.io] On Behalf Of ve6frc@...
Sent: Wednesday, August 5, 2020 10:00 PM
To: APRSISCE@groups.io
Subject: Re: [APRSISCE] RX/TX From radio/tnc

Hi all. 

TNC is definitely in kiss mode.It is set as per the two lines on the KPC3 + page to be in kiss mode all the time.
I have narrowed down to a port issue. Even if I use another cable which then shows as port 4, I still can not see Or talk to that port with Putty. In fact I can not communicate with any port. Not sure if this is a win 10 thing or what. 

Join APRSISCE@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.