Re: Igate setup

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Welcome to APRS!

The passcode is generated from your callsign and is used to access the APRS-IS network.  Some other APRS software may have additional security levels (UI-View comes to mind), but APRSISCE/32 only needs the APRS-IS passcode.  It is perfectly fine to use the one from APRSdroid, provided that you're using the same base callsign.  The passcode works with any -SSID.

No, you do not need any permission from the APRS-IS servers.  I recommend that you use noam.aprs2.net so that your connection goes to a lightly loaded server in North America.  Stations not in North America might want to use rotate.aprs2.net as their APRS-IS server specification.

On 8/3/2020 5:27 AM, Alder Kail wrote:
Hello, I'm new to groups.io and I'm new to this software! I have two questions and hopefully I can get on my way. The spot that I live in is fairly rural and I'm trying to set up an Igate and possibly a digipeater in the future. I already have a passcode for APRS-IS from another program I was using (APRSdroid) so I was confused whether I would be breaking any rules or not if I just slapped that in APRSIS32 and started up an Igate, or if I needed a moderator to verify my information or activate my passcode or something? My second question, do I need to notify anyone that runs the APRS servers that I will be injecting information onto their website? I'm still trying to learn about all these things, but there doesn't seem to be much information readily available on the internet, and after a lot of digging decided to just ask here. Thanks to anyone that can shed some light on this for me! - Ian, KI5IBL