Re: Passcode request for KI6HHJ

Rob Giuliano

The Pi4 is definitely a much more powerful processor (4 cores at 1.5GHz) with more RAM (now up to 8GB with some fancy 32-bit paging).

However, the Pi is an ARM processor and APRSIS32 is compiled for the x86 processors.  Since WINE is typically run in a Linux environment also on x86 processors, it doesn't translate across the processors.  It mostly translates to the host OS. There was a version of WINE for the PI, but there are so few apps compiled for the Pi processor, that it created high expectations that it couldn't deliver on.

Exagear was a true "emulator" that allowed the x86 code to run on the Pi's processor.  However, the processor in the Pi4 made so many drastic changes to key things like hardware I/O addressing and even memory addressing, it has been hard for Exagear to catch up.  It looks like they gave up in February.

There is a newer 'custom' version of WINE for the Pi that does a much better job, but it requires a customer Kernel and some modifications to the WINE configuration.  I think it requires some custom QEMU settings as well. There are a few YouTube videos if you search on "WINE on the Pi4".

Good luck - report back if you actually get it running!

On Thursday, June 25, 2020, 10:16:45 AM EDT, Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

I don't know if the newest Pis have enough power to do it reasonably well, but APRSIS32 runs under WINE and I believe you can put WINE on a Pi.

On 6/25/2020 9:03 AM, Rob Giuliano via groups.io wrote:
Mike,
I am posting your Pi question to the main group.
Of course APRSIS32 is a Windows application for x86 processors.
I do not know of anyone running this on a Pi

I know some who use the Pi as the pseudo TNC (soundcard or direct connect a hardware TNC) then send the data to a Windows PC over TCP/IP.

PS:  Passcode sent off list.

On Thursday, June 25, 2020, 2:54:25 AM EDT, Mike Hollibaugh <mhollibaugh@...> wrote:

Good evening, I am very excited to use your software,

I would like to use APRSSI32 and I am hoping to obtain a passcode.

My name is Michael L Hollibaugh and my callsign is KI6HHJ.

I can be found on aprs.fi using the SSID's of KI6HHJ-1 and KI6HHJ-2:

Thank you for your assistance and please let me know if you have any questions,

Mike

PS: being that Exagear's emulator is no longer available, do you have
any other recommendations to install your application on a Raspberry
Pi 4, 4G without a Windows environment?