From: James Ewen <ve6srv@...>
Date: 6/21/20 02:40 (GMT-05:00)
To: APRSISCE@groups.io
Subject: Re: [APRSISCE] Igates and their use of digi paths

While true the nearest permanent digi near me is 30 miles away and a mobile can't hit it unless it's about 15 miles away. I can't even reliably get into any of the digis in the area with the home station.

So what you are describing is an area with no digipeater coverage. This is not a location for a fill-in digipeater, this area needs a full digipeater.

A station operating in this area will not be able to participate in APRS operations on the digipeater network as there is no digipeater network in the area. A fill-in digipeater acts as a one way booster in the digipeater network. It will only ever act upon the first path element of a packet. If you put a fill-in digipeater into an area that is not covered by a main digipeater, then there is no way for any traffic (position reports, or more importantly messages) to get back into the area.

Stations should never use WIDE1-1 anywhere other than as the first element in their outgoing path. Anyone wanting to get information back to station that only has a fill-in digipeater within range from an area 2 digits away would be forced to use WIDE1–1 As a second path element, which we all know is a very bad thing to do.

Build the network properly and APRS works great. Build it incorrectly and you can have something that is a waste of time, effort, money, and just generally makes people resort to trying stupid things that cause more problems for everyone.

James
VE6SRV

On Sat, Jun 20, 2020 at 10:12 PM Greg Depew <goatherder_4891@...> wrote:
See below

Greg KB3KBR Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

From: Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...>
Date: 6/19/20 19:48 (GMT-05:00)

On 6/19/2020 6:38 PM, Greg Depew wrote:
Can you give a more complete description of what all is involved?

KB3KBR-11 is what station?  Software, TNC and radio please.

11 is a Yaesu Ft1d

Same for -4 (a WIDE1-1 digi)

4 is a fill in digi , TinyTrak 4 with GPS and and FT 8800 in a go box programmed to only respond to Wide1-1 and it's own callsign

Same for -1 (presumably a WIDE2 digi)

1 is APRSIS32 via sound card Signal link into an Ftm 350and is an igate and digi that responds to Wide1-1 and Wide2-2

Same for the IGate and please include callsign-SSID with the other 3 pieces of the puzzle.

And some idea of who can copy who directly.  Can -1 copy the IGate directly or does the IGate need the boost from -4 to get to -1?

1 is the igate, 4 is my mobile fill in that I'm using to get 11 back to the igate

You've already mentioned that you can't hear -1 indoors, but only -4.  Can you copy the IGate indoors?

When I'm at work inside our 911 center our grounding halo blocks just about everything. 4 is sitting in the truck in the parking lot and can hear 1 and 11. 11 can only hear 1 if it's out side and its iffy if 1 can hear 11 without either holding the antenna in the or more power.

If not, then can we assume the IGate is actually remote from your QTH, but -1 is local?

So, with that final line, it would seem that if you're IGate is using a WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 path, then -4 will copy it and repeat it locally so that -11 can copy the response at the 911 center.  Without the WIDE1-1, -4 won't digipeat and -11 won't copy it.

The big issue you have is that the -11 HT can't copy the IGate directly when at the 911 center, and apparently there's no bigger digipeater that will digipeat the IGate and be copied by the -11 HT.  No amount of pathing is going to solve an issue of a marginal receiver (the HT) at some distance from the IGate without strong coverage.

But a WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 path on the IGate should trigger the -4 digipeater to deliver a stronger packet to the HT.

Anyone have any better suggestion?

PS.  An external antenna that you can connect to the HT inside the 911 center would likely also solve your issue.  Apparently the -4 has bigger ears than the HT or it wouldn't copy the IGate while sitting in the parking lot.

--
James
VE6SRV

--