Kenwood D710A running APRSIS32 on Windows 10 tablet with serial to bluetooth adapter

Anthony Mascola

I have been trying to use a US Converters blutronium serial to Bluetooth adapter as I am trying to run a Windows 10 tablet that I can move easily in and out of my Jeep to run APRS to support activities with Search and Rescue, scouting and coordinating while driving off road on overlanding trips.  The vehicle is a daily driver and I need to remove the tablet so the vehicle is not broken into.  I would like to be able to use Bluetooth as the tablet has no serial connector or full size USB port.

So far connecting via Bluetooth has been really challenging.  Things are definitely not stable and are very hit or miss for me and I have been trying various things when I have time over the past year or so.  I was able to run APRSIS32 but sometimes I would not be able to connect to the TNC at all or I would lose my GPS feed (which I am hoping is now fixed with the latest development version) or the program would crash and things are inconsistent.  I was never able to run Winlink Express at all as I can’t open the COM port from the tablet with the same settings that worked intermittently with APRSIS32.  I am wondering if it has something to do with the way I have configured the bluetooth serial port which gets complicated.

Transceiver: Kenwood D710A

Bluetooth to Serial Port adapter: US Converters Blutronium

                Settings: COM port (selected matching COM port showing in Windows device manager), 9600 baud, 8N1, hardware flow control, DCE selected via DIP switch settings

Tablet: Windows 10 Toshiba Encore WT8-A32, Windows serial port settins: 8N1, 9600 baud, Hardware flow control set

Software: Terminal emulator program Access Port, APRSIS32, Winlink Express, SARTrack with serial port set to matching settings

When I connect to the terminal emulator program Access Port with the following settings (matching COM port, baud rate, 8N1, Flow Control RTS/CTS, CTS output control enabled, DTR control enabled, RTS control handshake, see figures 1 and 2 attached)  and turn on the TNC I can read everything fine that is being sent from the TNC to the terminal emulator but when I try to send any data via the command prompt, I get no response and nothing back.

If I do the same settings with the RT Systems serial to USB cable (with the exception that I don’t have to specify DCE/DTE with the wire cable) I can both send and receive data from the TNC just fine.   There is some setting that is not quite right which prevents my being able to send commands and have the TNC receive and respond to them with the above.

Has anyone successfully configured a Windows 10 tablet to work with their D710 via bluetooth?  Do you have any idea what I might be doing wrong?  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.