https Tile Server (like ThunderForest)

Lynn Deffenbaugh

I just confirmed that ThunderForest's tile servers are accessed via https.  This cannot be done with APRSIS32's legacy map tile set configuration.

But the newest development version of APRSIS32 can theoretically do this if you can manually configure some information into an MBTiles database file and then edit the APRSIS32.xml configuration file to point a tile set to this database.

Note: I just proved that it can do this by a) signing up for a ThunderForest free account, b) Noting the URL for their OpenCycleMaps on my dashboard, c) Cloning an empty MBTiles database and updating the URLFormat metadata element (along with name and description) to this URL including my API key and changing the {x} to %x (y and z respectively).  Maybe I'll have to add a ToDo item to support either %x or {x} as the latter seems to have gained some traction in tile server URL definitions.

Details on how to do that will be forthcoming as soon as I write them up.  I was searching my e-mail archives to see if I had made any mention of it in the past which is why these old messages are resurfacing.

In the meantime, you might want to download and install http://sqlitebrowser.org

PS.  Their free account provides 150,000 tile requests per month.  I was at 69 with a single full-screen view at zoom 14.  Seems like it might work for an individual user provided that you're not like me bouncing all over the planet when I notice an interesting APRS station.

On 6/1/2019 11:29 AM, 'Fred Hillhouse' fmhillhouse@... [aprsisce] wrote:

If a link has HTTPS rather than HTTP, then APRSIS32 will not pull tiles. I suspect this is the case for Thunderforest.

You should be able to put together the entire link and paste it into a browser.

tile.thunderforest.com/transport/apikey=apikey/9/143/185.png

tile.thunderforest.com/transport/apikey=apikey/9/143/185.png

Once you are successful with a returned image, look at the beginning of the link for HTTP or HTTPS.

If a link has HTTPS rather than HTTP, then APRSIS32 will not pull tiles. I suspect this is the case for Thunderforest.

APRSIS32 should have a TileServer entry that looks like this:

<Server>tile.thunderforest.com</Server>

<URLPrefix>/transport/apikey=apikey/%z/%x/%y.png</URLPrefix>

Or maybe:

<Server>tile.thunderforest.com</Server>

<URLPrefix>/transport/apikey=apikey/</URLPrefix>

As Lynn commented, “Server” should always be just the server.

I hope this helps!

Best regards,

Fred N7FMH