Re: Proposed General Release (Dev: 2020/05/01 21:21)

Rob Giuliano

I updated the WIKI on this subject.
  There are 2 sections now -> Pre WINE 2.8 (same info as before: WINE Registry) and Post WINE 2.8 (updated for USB devices: reassign existing Ports).

Unfortunately, the explanation is a bit wordy.  If you are familar with Linux and WINE, please take a look and provide any feedback.

I have 3 TNCs that connect through USB devices, and I have successfully changed TNCs with APRSIS32 matching the COM port for each.  In my case, each USB interface had a unique Vendor and Product code.

My one comment about the updated WINE versions is:
"The good news is that you no longer have to mess with the Registry (which can cause other problems).  Older WINE versions had a pretty simple registry, but the newer versions are much more Windows like."

On Saturday, May 2, 2020, 12:57:42 PM EDT, Rob Giuliano via groups.io <kb8rco@...> wrote:

I would argue their purpose was to ensure anything Linux 'sees' is mapped to WINE.
Why does Linux have
    tty - okay I know this one!
    tty0 - tty63
    ttyS0 - ttyS32
when only a few devices are actually present?
Isn't that what things like udev are for?

I will be doing a little investigating into possibly deleting some of these nonexistent devices and see if that cuts down what WINE sees.

On Saturday, May 2, 2020, 12:25:44 PM EDT, Greg D <ko6th.greg@...> wrote:

Hi Rob,

It sounds like the Wine team is trying to be annoyance-for-annoyance compatible with Windows :(.

I'm on Wine 1.8.6 on an old OpenSuSE LEAP 42.1 system, and the upgrade to the latest went without a hitch.  It's an iGate that I run 24x7, and all is working fine.  Thanks for the "heads-up" for the future when I eventually upgrade the system.

Greg  KO6TH

Rob Giuliano via groups.io wrote:
I'll try a few more things and update the wiki - soon.

On Saturday, May 2, 2020, 10:36:15 AM EDT, Rob Giuliano via groups.io <kb8rco@...> wrote:

As near as I can tell, there is something in the WINE setup that automatically (and "unchangeably") links every ttyS## device in /dev to a com## in the .wine folder.  Linux (at least my XUbuntu) has ttyS0 - ttyS32.  Each USB serial device is added after that.

Good news is that APRSIS32 "sees" all 33 (in my case) serial ports.  The bad news of course is that there is no guarantee of the USB order if you have more than 1 USB serial device.

Through investigation, I learned that udev rules can reallocate any of these com# device to a symlink device link other than an ttyS#, BUT WINE changes them back.  However, udev rule CAN override an existing device (with no hardware), that worked for me.  My desktop has 1 physical serial port on ttyS0 (com1), so I can reallocate any ttyS# with # > 0.  Just remember that COM# ports start with 1 and ttyS# devices start with 0 (zero), so my override of ttyS3 became com4.  A section of my udev rules file in /etc/udev/rules.d called 65-tnc.rules:

#65-tnc.rules
# TNC-X
# SUBSYSTEM=="tty", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0403", ATTRS{idProduct}=="6001", SYMLINK+="tncx"
SUBSYSTEM=="tty", ATTRS{idVendor}=="0403", ATTRS{idProduct}=="6001", SYMLINK+="ttyS3"

I have a line for each TNC device I connect, including some for Bluetooth connections, but I haven't tested those with WINE 5.0 yet.

On Saturday, May 2, 2020, 8:58:33 AM EDT, Michael Coslo via groups.io <mjc_n3li@...> wrote:

Hi Rob,

WINES’s handling of com ports flummoxed me. What used to be a simple symbolic link became something else indeed  ver 2.8 and later. The people at Codeweavers tried to help, but they had instructions for Mac, which were different enough that it didn’t work for me.

Needing my station up and running, I ended up removing Mint and reinstalling Windows 8.1, which is just too cruel! 8^)

When I’m not pressed for time, I’ll reinstall mint and try again.

But you might have the secret sauce for getting new versions of WINE to do the link?

Otherwise I might try again with an old version of WINE.

- 73 Mike N3LI -