Lightning data (was: Ready for Release?)

Lynn Deffenbaugh

b/KJ4ERJ-15 will get you my flying satellites as will o/ISS*/PSAT* (the * is required as they have trailing spaces.  This should work on both APRS-IS and firenet.

b/KJ4ERJ-LS will get you the individual strikes as well as the strike zones as well o/LS-*/SZ-*.  If you only want the strike zones (a lot fewer objects, but nearly as informative), just use o/SZ-*.  This only works on firenet.  The KJ4ERJ-15 for lightning data is obsolete and should be ignored.

Note that you should NOT connect an IGate to firenet.  I've been told that firenet's 14580 ports are not internally flagged as "IGate" ports, so they will NOT remember what stations you've gated and therefore you will not receive messages addressed to those stations nor courtesy posits from the originators of those messages.

If I thought about it hard enough, I could probably come up with a combination of APRSIS32 instances to pull off gating nearby strikezone objects from the -IS to RF without actually using firenet as the IGate connection, but given their update frequency during a storm, I really don't think you'd ever want to actually do this.

On 4/30/2020 4:52 PM, KE6BB via groups.io wrote:

Thanks for the reminder, Fred.  I had forgotten about Lynns lightning server.  I noticed that I had -b/KJ4ERJ-LS in my filters which I changed to b/KJ4ERJ-LS, and it works!  Now I remember that I used the “-“ to turn the filter off without having to take it clear out of the Configure menu.  That keeps it handy so I can turn lightning on or off without having to look it up.

I found an old message (#29727 dated 10/22/16 in groups.io) that says to, “…specify a filter of b/KJ4ERJ-15 or o/LS*…”, but that may be old info.  I haven’t tried either of them recently:

https://groups.io/g/APRSISCE/message/29727

Lynn does of great job of keeping me from hanging out in bars all night 😜.

Mark,

KE6BB

From: Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...>

Date: 4/29/20 5:38 PM (GMT-08:00)

Subject: [APRSISCE] Ready for Release?

So, according to the second ("Upgrades") telemetry graph for KJ4ERJ at
aprs.fi, it appears that the upgrades are slowing down. So the $20,000
question is:  For those of you running the latest development release,
is it ready to be pushed out as the first General release since 2012?

https://aprs.fi/telemetry/a/KJ4ERJ?range=week

Avast logo