Re: aprsis32 and fldig kiss interface

Lynn Deffenbaugh

I found http://www.w1hkj.com/FldigiHelp/config_io_page.html which would seem to imply that there are two possibilities.

1) Simply(KISS) in APRSIS32 nd do NOT check AX25 Decode

2) Text port type in APRSIS32 and DO check AX25 Decode

In either case, you'll definitely want both TCP/IP and Listen/Bind checked and use the I/O number from fldigi as the Port number in APRSIS32's TCP/IP connection.  In the second case, it's not really speaking "KISS", but is actually a humanly-readable TNC-2-formatted telnet-type simple TCP/IP socket connection.  If you're good with networking, you should be able to telnet to the port in option 2 and see all the received packets.

I'm leaning toward the second option because of the following note in the AX25 Decode section.

NOTE:
When actived, only valid ax25 data will be displayed to the receive panel. No un-squelched random characters will be seen.

This would seem to imply that without AX25 decode, fldigi would be running in some sort of "PASSALL" mode whereby ALL decodes are passed through without checking the FCS checksums.  This can result in seriously corrupted packets being passed because the checksum isn't actually available to the receiving program in a KISS packet so they can't be validated by anyone but the demodulator.

PS.  Wow, pretty cool AX.25 CRC/FCS description for MatLab of all things!

On 4/22/2020 5:22 AM, Lynn Deffenbaugh wrote:

I don't know fldigi and how it works, but I do know that APRSIS32 doesn't do UDP/IP, but only TCP/IP.  If the labels on the various options ae to be trusted, I suspect you'll want Listen/Bind selected.  If they're checkboxes and not radio buttons, you'll also want TCP/IP checked as well and maybe AX25 Decode, although I'm not sure how that would apply to KISS.

Then, configure APRSIS32 with a Simply(KISS) type port with a TCP/IP connection to 127.0.0.1 and the port should match the I/O number box in your fldigi configuration dialog.

At least, that'd be my rank amateur guess from reading the screen.

PS.  I have no idea what a "TNC-2 KISS protocol" is.  Usually it's either KISS with AX.25 formatted packets or non-KISS (or telnet) TCP/IP with TNC-2 formatted (ASCII, humanly readable) packets.  I've never enountered the two packet formats in the same protocol name...

On 4/22/2020 4:52 AM, miguel.bahi@... wrote:
Hi, I want to try aprsis32 in HF 30 meters with psk63 modulation of fldigi. But no success.

I configure fldigi like this

and I am create one port in APRSIS32 "fldigi"  device ( I try simpleKISS and KISS ), tcpip  , ip 127.0.0.1 port 7342
But I obtain fldigi port delay.

this is the msg of the log of this port
Port(fldigi):2020-04-22T08:01:25.448 connect(@127.0.0.1) Failed
Port(fldigi):2020-04-22T08:01:25.448 Delaying Restart for 18907/20000 msec
Port(fldigi):2020-04-22T08:01:44.463 Restarting Reader...
Port(fldigi):2020-04-22T08:01:44.463 TcpReader Running on @127.0.0.1 or 127.0.0.1:7342 (6 OpenCmds, 4 CloseCmds)
Port(fldigi):2020-04-22T08:01:45.549 connect errno 10061
Port(fldigi):2020-04-22T08:01:45.549 connect(@127.0.0.1) Failed
Port(fldigi):2020-04-22T08:01:45.549 Delaying Restart for 38914/40000 msec

Any suggestion?

thanks in advance.

73 Miguel EB5JEQ.