Re: Igate verification

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Look under Enables / View Log for any IGate* logs.  Bring each of those up and enable it.  One of them should tell you whether or not packets are being gated to the APRS-IS.

However, those are not "CQ" packets from the ISS.  That's actually the ToCall or UnProto piece.  The packet is from RS0ISS (the first part before the >) with a destination (ToCall/UnProto) of CQ (the part after the > until either a comma or colon).  It has an empty path (colon immediately follows ToCall with no commas) and is actually a status packet (the > after the colon).  Therefore it has no location (the ISS never actually says where it is), so it will show up on your map at 0,0 or at the Null Island.

But one of the IGate* trace logs should be able to answer your question.

Well, sort of.  Your question was whether the packet is "reaching aprs.fi", but that is not under APRSIS32's direct control.  APRSIS32 is only responsible for delivering gated packets to your immediate upstream (directly connected) APRS-IS server.  Whether your packet actually gets distributed, and how far, through the APRS-IS is dependent on timing and the duplicate suppression rules of the APRS-IS servers.

A quick check at https://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=RS0ISS&limit=1000&view=normal doesn't show anything from VU3NUF, which I assume (possibly incorrectly) is the callsign under which you are running APRSIS32?

Remember, aprs.fi is simply (albeit quite complex actually) a database capturing and displaying data from the APRS-IS as well as several other sources.  It is NOT the APRS-IS network.

On 4/16/2020 10:55 AM, Yatharth Verma via groups.io wrote:
Greetings..from India!

I have just started using APRSIS32 again after a hiatus of 2 years, therefore there is something which I need to seek help for.

First of all, about my installation:

1. Intel i5 CPU with 4 GB RAM
2. Windows 8.1 operating system
3. RTL-SDR radio dongle for RX with UZ&HO sound modem (working correctly)
4. Homebrewed QFH antenna

Now my problem:
I am receiving APRS CQ packets from an ISS pass correctly. I say correctly since it gets displayed on the sound modem screen (text pasted below):

1:Fm RS0ISS To CQ <UI R Pid=F0 Len=36> [16:12:53R] [+++]
>ARISS - International Space Station

This also reaches APRSIS32 in the log of the sound modem port:
Port(UZ7HO):2020-04-16T10:42:53.908 AGW:AX.25[0] RS0ISS>CQ:>ARISS - International Space Station

But I am unable to verify (rather I don't know how to verify), whether this packet is being Igated or not. Please help me find out this. And also whether it is reaching aprs.fi or not?

I shall be grateful for any help.

Best regards,
Yatharth
VU3NUF