Using NWS County shapefiles for other packets

Fred Hillhouse

Greetings,

This is cross –posted to APRSSIG but the list appears to have been replaced by a forum. It is also on the Facebook APRS page.

Is there a mechanism to use the shapefiles that encompass counties for anything other than an NWS packet?

Here is an example that will display a FLOOD symbol inside two counties along with county outlines

PAHFLS>APRS,TCPIP,qAO,WE7U-WX::NWS_ADVIS:070730z,FLOOD,INC129-KYC225 {6H50l

After studying the details and documents for this packet (Thanks WE7U!), I am curious if other data could be displayed.

Is the packet type generic enough?

Can “NWS_ADVIS” be anything else?

I am not sure what determines the FLOOD symbol. Is it the product code of “FLS” or “FLOOD”?

A current scenario might be COVID-19 cases in a county, but that is only one example.

Just thinking about current world events and APRS.

I know the NWS is US based. Are other shapefiles available for counties, states, provinces, etc.?

I hope everyone is being careful and rides out this storm successfully!

Best regards,

Fred N7FMH

PS. The New York Times maps and data (free subscription for COVID-19)

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/world/coronavirus-maps.html

https://github.com/nytimes/covid-19-data

PPS. Is the APRSSIG email list really replaced by a forum? L

Avast logo