Re: Getting APRSIS TO tx/rx on RF

Jeffrey Golas

Ah cool I didnt realize that was a thing. Thanks!

Jeff

On Jan 25, 2020, at 11:40 AM, Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

Yes, just send an APRS message to the station you want to query.  You can even send an APRS message to yourself to query your own station.

All queries start with a ?.  If you send an invalid query (like ?JUNK) APRSIS32 will respond with the queries that are supported.

        > Support[1/2]: ?APRSD ?APRSL ?APRSH ?APRSM ?APRSO ?APRSP ?APRSS
        > Support[2/2]:?APRST/?PING? ?ABOUT/?APRSV/?VER ?CPU ?DX ?IGATE

The only odd-ball is ?APRSH (query heard).  By default it will respond with the path over which the query was received.   But if you add a trailing * (?APRSH *), it will respond with a list of all stations heard via RF ports.  ?APRSD responds with the direct stations (no hops used), ?APRSL with local (<2 hops and past N minutes).  The number in () will be the calculated used hop count with (0) suppressed for directly-received stations.

https://robust-packet.net/documents/APRS-Queries.pdf has an interesting list although I didn't study it in detail just now.

On 1/25/2020 11:14 AM, Jeffrey Golas wrote:
How do you do these queries? Is it possible to do within the software?

Jeff

On Jan 25, 2020, at 10:37 AM, Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

I'm glad we got it worked out.  I'm still surprised that the <Open/CloseCmd>s from the Kenwood APRS radios (lurking beneath the "KISS" port type) actually made your TNC function, but function it did!

According to the query I just did (?APRSH *), you've copied packets from 5 stations in the past 2 hours or so:

G3CWI-5(1) G6YRK-7 M0WIT-9(2) M1VIP-9(2) MB7UMC

G6YRK-7 and MB7UMC were copied direct and the other 3 were via digipeats.  Is G6YRK-7 your APRS HT?  If so, what was the magic to get it decoded and received?

On 1/25/2020 10:02 AM, g6yrk@... wrote:
Well what can I say, what a good job Lynn did last night sorting my problem out, plus I also learnt a lot about APRSIS that I did not know, and I have been using since it since about 2003
but we (Lynn) found the problem was down to the "Kiss" settings, I had it set to Simply (KISS) and my old system running on Win7 was Just "KISS" so changed it and hey presto it worked
and we were chatting on APRSIS untill about 02:30 in the morning trying to sort it

But Very Many thanks Lynn and putting up with some of my questions

Steve G6YRK  uk