Re: TOT resetting too soon

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Set the timer to zero if you don't want it.

It is very useful for the APRS-IS port because there is a certain failure mode in TCP/IP networking that can cause one end of a connection (say the APRSIS32 end) to believe the connection is alive but the other end thinks it is gone.  The connection can stay this way for a large number of minutes (remember that TCP/IP was designed to be self-healing and provides for routing packets around gaps in the network caused by nuclear elimination of major routing nodes), and sometimes the connection never realizes that it is all gone.  At least, until the confused end tries to send a packet over the connection.

In the case of mobile data networking this condition can happen when you go in and out of cellular data coverage.  And remember that APRSIS32 started as APRSISCE on Windows Mobile phones.

The Quiet Timer is also handy for some TNC/radio combinations that can drop out of KISS mode unexpectedly.  When that happens, packets quit coming through and the Quiet Time is counted.  When it is finally exceeded, the port is disabled and re-enabled causing the <Open/CloseCmd>s to be issued that will hopefully bring the port back into the proper state.  Consider Kenwood APRS radios and KISS (not Simply(KISS)) type ports when reading this.

It can be tricky to determine a suitable Quiet Timer for your APRS RF environment to avoid resetting the port unnecessarily, but that's the fun of the hobby.

But again, if you find it to be interfering with something, just set it to zero to disable it.

But I would like to know more details of your setup and what interference you are seeing!

On 1/20/2020 4:49 PM, Christopher Rose wrote:
Lynn, why is the software using any timers that reset anything? Seems to interfere more than help
Chris
KB8UIH