Re: I want to operate aprs while listening to hf on another band is that possible?

Jack L. Blake Sr (AI4LL)

The idea is to use a mono band 2 meter for dedicated APRS. Signal band 2 meter radio are pretty inexpensive.

On Sat, Dec 28, 2019 at 11:53 AM Rob Giuliano via Groups.Io <kb8rco=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Like any setup, cheap HTs tend to work well when everything is configured properly.
Like most equipment, you need to look at its capability.  As Fred said, "MOST" dual band radios (more likely with HTs) are dual receive and single transmit, so you must make sure the TX is set to the TNC and desired frequency.  Using one for a QSO while also trying to RX/TX APRS is not likely to work.

On Saturday, December 28, 2019, 11:04:16 AM EST, Jack L. Blake Sr (AI4LL) <jblake8061@...> wrote:

How would one of the cheap Chinese HT connected to a outside antenna using a PS work? I would not want to tie up a high dollar dual band for APRS

On Sat, Dec 28, 2019 at 10:14 AM Fred Hillhouse Jr (CruelShoes) <f.hillhouse.jr@...> wrote:
The FT857 will not operate in that manner. Many of the dual band radios will not either. The 857 is single receive/transmit. The typical dual band is dual receive/single transmit.
I tend to use older commercial radios for APRS but there are some good amateur radios. I have an FT1500 that works well.

Best regards,
Fred N7FMH

On Fri, Dec 27, 2019, 5:36 PM K7OI-Mark <K7oi.us@...> wrote:
Hi
K7oi here
I use 857d yaesu with signalink USB and aprsisce32.
Is it possible to listen to other bands while using the 144.39 to xmit/rcv aprs packets?

Anyone experienced in doing this I've tried for some reason my packets get cut off or xmit fully on the other freq I'm listening to embarrassing.
I've tried such things as priority channel either way etc.
Ideas?
And yes a dedicated 2m or xband rig is being considered.

--
Jack L. Blake

--
Jack L. Blake