Re: How to make a new PORT that listens to a soundcard?

Rob Giuliano

Unfortunately, I don't use AGWpe Pro.  Most of my work has been with hardware TNCs and recently Direwolf.

Let me give an explanation a try:
"When I make an APRSIS/32 "Port" I make them in the style I "Think) Bob B wrote about ... or gee, maybe it was Lynn, .... make a KWD710-APRS and a KWD710(PKT) and enable one or the other for whatever I am doing."

This is the standard D710 port that works with the "INTERNAL" TNC which you are using on 144.39 and normal APRS traffic.

"So, if you have a single instance of AGWpe reading both your D710's audio direct as well as the SDR, you're already receiving packets decoded from both channels."

That is correct.  APRSIS32 will receive any packet decoded by AGW on the same APRSIS32 AGW stream over the configured port (typically 8000) .  With this configuration, you want the SignaLink on Port 1 (TX capable configuration) and the RTL -> SD-Console -> VAC-Line#1 should be connected to Port 2 (APRSIS32 cannot TX on this port, and the RTL has no TX capability.  Keep in mind that 2 ports configured on the same radio will cause 2 tranmits on that radio - if both have beaconing enabled.  You can disable this for any port in >Configure >Ports  >{port name}.

If this is your setup (again, I suggest swapping AGW radio port 1 and radio port 2). then you should be all set with monitoring APRS through the D710 on a normal D710 port, and stations on 145.825 through both radio ports of the AGW.  APRSIS32 can TX on 145.825 (AGW port 1: SignaLink) if that is enabled in the app.  I am not sure how you would tell which AGW port is decoding what in APRSIS32, but it sounds like you can see that in AGWpe Pro.

"By using "UISS" from ON6MU (Paid), which reads right off Packet-Engine-Pro, I am able to see the UI message "CQ" and thus a HI I am here AX.25 off,say, ISS ....UISS easily allows me to fire off a quick "I copy you" to  "Mheard Call" "X" and thus make a fast QSO/Grid. I xmit thru UISS."

This part I am unsure of, but if AGWpe Pro allow multiple connections to each "device", then connecting UISS to it "WITH" APRSIS32 should work (AGWpe Pro site seems to indicate port sharing).  But if not. you wioll have to disconnect one to use the other.  I don't think you need to make any AGWpe Pro changes between the 2 apps (UISS and APRSIS32).

On Friday, December 27, 2019, 6:30:49 AM EST, KD7YZ Bob <kd7yz@...> wrote:

Been trying to get a handle on the suggestions from both you as well as Lynn ... for a few days and evenings now.

As far as needing or using AGW Monitor, as I see it, the paid version of Packet Engine Pro incorporates all that.
I see MHeard. And I see, on the far left column, Port ID 1 and 2 when I have only the D710 Data-Port output to SignaLink (is Port 2) and Port ID 1 is the other soundcard, RTL-->SDR-Console-->VAC-Line#1 .

So, if I understand Lynn's comment about:
"So, if you have a single instance of AGWpe reading both your D710's audio direct as well as the SDR, you're already receiving packets decoded from both channels."

Then I do NOT see how to create two different APRSIS/32 "AGW" type ports to allow me to see or read or (?) the packets from both "Packet Engine Pro" defined ports.

"Usually" I put the right-side D710 window (CH-B) on 145.825 and the Left CH-A on 144.390.

When I make an APRSIS/32 "Port" I make them in the style I "Think) Bob B wrote about ... or gee, maybe it was Lynn, .... make a KWD710-APRS and a KWD710(PKT) and enable one or the other for whatever I am doing.

I see no way in either Packet Engine Pro nor APRSIS/32 to re-designate KISS ports as Rob was describing.

Mainly that's what I have been try to do for a few days now ... before I opened my dumb moth to make the "Reply" here.

BTW, "Is" there a way to send small screen shots to a post to this BBS? Sometimes it is easier to attach the config window snapshot than try to describe it.

Anyway, I am not really trying to "compare" inputs as much as I am trying to collect them from two frequencies and 4 antennas ///// two SPID rotators and so forth.

By using "UISS" from ON6MU (Paid), which reads right off Packet-Engine-Pro, I am able to see the UI message "CQ" and thus a HI I am here AX.25 off,say, ISS ....UISS easily allows me to fire off a quick "I copy you" to  "Mheard Call" "X" and thus make a fast QSO/Grid. I xmit thru UISS.

But I want the packets from the Sats to get into the system, so to speak ..IGated, if u will. Only the great APRSIS/32 can do such.
I guess if you can look at what ever traffic I manage to iGATE,  then u will occasionally see I sent PSAT or ISS from Packet Engine Pro thru APRSIS/32 sometimes successfully.

I'll get a run of a few days where I get it all then later discover I have disconnected the PEP "Ports" from APRSIS/32 and have to reconstruct them all.

AGWPE (PEP) seems to like me to "Re-Start it every time I make a change.

KD7YZ Bob EM88LL