Re: Direwolf error message

Rob Giuliano

Lynn,
I think he is referring to the APRS101.PDF, which "shows" 6-character grid squares noted in upper case (page 35: In a Status Report — e.g. IO91SX/-).  Normally 6-character grid squares would use lower case for the last 2 characters, but this shows upper case.  I am not sure if the spec actually "requires" this, or why it would be important to specify all caps.  But it appears Direwolf expects them to be upper case and reports the lower case as an error

I know you like to follow the APRS spec to the lettter, so I am not sure if you want to seek more clarification or decide to make the change to the format used in the APRS101.pdf document.

Roy,
The reason for only reporting in one format is that each has different  precision - especial if you add precision.  This may cause stationary reports to appear to move around with the different report types from the same station.

On Thursday, December 26, 2019, 10:10:32 PM EST, Lynn Deffenbaugh <kj4erj@...> wrote:

If you turn off the GridSquare in your Configure / Status... / Status Report box, this gridsquare will not be included.  It's not good practice to transmit a gridsquare in your status report if you're also beaconing a lat/lon in a position report.  I tried to confirm this via aprs.fi, but apparently VE7DH isn't getting to an IGate.

On 12/26/2019 8:57 PM, Roy Schulz wrote:
If you look in the attached file you will see a line in red that tells us that a grid square with the last 2 letters in lower case is not according to specification. I looked through the aprs program to see if I could adjust this but could not find anything, so suspect it is generated internally.

By the way, VE7DH is me, being received by one of my SDRs.

regards, Roy