Re: Which Log is for the Data-Port?

Rob Giuliano

I saw a comment from someone else that said the D710 can handle both the intenal TNC and external Data Jack, but it sounds like they need to be on separate "bands" of the radio (A side vs. B side).   So, you are now able to see AGW packets in APRSIS32.  Sounds like you are almost where you want to be.  FYI, 127.0.0.1 and localhost are the same - "this pc" or the pc running the application.

The mode on startup for things like AGW and APRSIS32 are important in that the application sends commands to the radio to ensure the proper configuration o communicate with them.  They typically have commands they send tot he radio/TNC to place it in the proper communication mode/protocol.

AMSAT UK site has a nice spreadsheet https://amsat-uk.org/satellites/frequencies-of-active-satellites/ that is easy to enable filters.  Using it to set "*" for active in column H, then looking for 1200 AFSK, I count 20 with downlink frequencies, and a few more that just say APRS.  That sounds like a lot.

You don't say what SDR-console is connected to, but it sounds like a receive only device sending decoded sata to APRSIS32.

I will suggest you review the port settings in APRSIS32 and make sure you don't check Xmit Enable on ports that don't have the capability.  Not sure it matters, but still makes sense to turn that off.

I'll let Lynn discuss the "...APRSIS32 let me INSTANTLY select one of three UI type messages .. ".  Noty familiar with this.

On Friday, November 15, 2019, 9:20:57 AM EST, KD7YZ Bob <kd7yz@...> wrote:

On 11/14/2019 18:08, Rob Giuliano via Groups.Io wrote:

> The port definitions you show are ports for the D710's "built in TNC",
> not AGW

True. I setup both APRS and Packet via APRSIS32's setup pre-caned D710
methods.

In AGWPE I used the Soundcard approach to see/read SignaLink's conn to
DATA on the D710 back. This is then made available to APRSIS32 via an
"AGW" Pre-Canned port I called 127.0.0.1:8000 but have used localhost too.

I also read that AGWPE MUST see the D710GA in Packet mode when first
being activated. Took me  long time to understand why I wasn't seeing
AGW thru APRSIS32. (one of many manifestations of my lack of skill-sets
with Packet/Kenwood/APRSIS32 interactions).

>      I am quite certain that when using the head TNC port, only 1 side
> of the radio is connected to this internal TNC and thus sent to the
> attached computer running APRSIS32.
>
> You also appear to have the "data jack" (6-pin audio I/O and PTT)
> connected through the SignaLink and AGW.  Having both connected,  are
> you are using the radio for 2 different functions at the same time?  I
> am quite sure that the radio is not designed for this.

I can address both of your two paragraphs better with some of the
screenshots.

First off, let ac knowledge that I understand I loose maybe 3DB or more,
whatever, by running the D710GA on the same Frequency Band. So far it is
inconsequential.

SO, right-hand channel(B) is on the AX.25 up/down links for the
pitifully few Satellites carrying Packet, at the moment.
Screenshot shows USNAP-1 ARISS from the SignaLink connection, the ONLY
one with that Frequency. It also show a local, N4TNA beacon.

Left-Hand channel A Band is on APRS.

One screenshot of the Scroller shows my ubiquitous Beacon. I have yet to
tell it that I am not testing batteries. But anyway, I left it in
SmartBeaconing .... as per one of a dozen GREAT PDF's recommended by
people. Randy has a great three page PDF which got me "going" on this
lashup, BTW .

I have noted that I must be in Radio-Mode Packet to interface to AGW
...I see though I can't DigiPeat even though I have that setting in
D710GA's menu set to Digipeat .

anyway, N4TNA, and my Beacon are copied off Left-Hand (chan A) and
Satellites off the right-hand Ch-B 145.825.

Also. I have the program SDR-Console running on 144.390 sending output
to VSPE-Line#1 VAC1 ...through AGWPE-Telnet to APRSIS32(port)

So far, The missing SSID problem has not popped up. I am guessing your
comment about not trying to tell APRSIS32 to run both Ports at the same
time was likely the cause.

The last couple days I have noted a SERIOUS  lack of 144.390 APRS
traffic. Neither the 15 element nor the stacked loops has seen anything
more than my beacon and N4tna.

This is another manifestation of my limited knowledge of interconnection
all this stuff.

> I am no sure if you can connect the UISS application and APRSIS32
> application at the same time, but I think the AGW protocol can handle
> it.

UISS has ONE trait that helps me make AX.25 QSO over ISS ... there are
three buttons with text fields I can fill in then tap a button and have
a UI go out ...if anyone copies the DigiPeat from ISS ... they send
something ACKing it back to me and I fore off a 'In The Log Book type
call ... and Voila! another grid on 2m (usually).

I can't figure out how tro make APRSIS32 let me INSTANTLY select one of
three UI type messages and fire them back up to the bird(s). It's
crazy-fast to try to make a 145.825 AX.25 QSO.

  You will have to disable the Port(D710) ones you were using.  Using
> APRSIS32 with an AGW port will allow the data to be displayed from any
> stream, however, I am sure it can only TX on "stream zero" - first AGW port.

this I will have to mull-over as I am not sure the connotations nor
where Stream-Zed is.

But thanks for the great tips.

--
73