SmartBeaconing (was: Which Log is for the Data-Port?)

Lynn Deffenbaugh

SmartBeaconing is a Kenwood radio thing and not APRSIS32, so I'm not sure why it is mentioned in the context of the packet scroller and (presumably) telemetry settings.  Unless you meant GeniusBeaconing?

GeniusBeaconing only affects position beacons generated by APRSIS32 and really only applies if you have a GPS source and are planning to be mobile.  For a fixed station, I recommend checking the "Time Only" checkbox in the Configure / GeniusBeaconing dialog.  This will cause APRSIS32 to only use the Max Time setting for position beacons.  Otherwise, drifting GPS locations can cause a lot of redundant beacons that make your "fixed" station appear to be wondering all over your lot and sometimes down the street.

Would you be able to provide a link to Randy's "great three page PDF"?

On 11/15/2019 9:12 AM, KD7YZ Bob wrote:
One screenshot of the Scroller shows my ubiquitous Beacon. I have yet to tell it that I am not testing batteries. But anyway, I left it in SmartBeaconing .... as per one of a dozen GREAT PDF's recommended by people. Randy has a great three page PDF which got me "going" on this lashup, BTW .

--
73
Bob KD7YZ