Re: Download and install

Rob Giuliano

The MFJ-1270X only has KISS mode.  The PIC16F628P firmware is a KISS TNC only.
Encode and decode iof the audio tones are done through an old BELL202 modem chip (not firmware).
  The DCD LED is controlled by the PIC.  The MX614P chip is the "TONES" setting on most TNC detection.

When you connected to the terminal program, you used thge same "Serial cable" or the USB cable?
  Did you let the terminal program "auto baud"?  Sorry, just saw you said you set baud rate (JP1 OPEN and JP2 SHORTED).
  I assume you used the same RS232 cable, not the USB port for the terminal test.

Are you using external power?  Obviously you have power because the LEDs are showing (typing as I think).

Don't forget to shut down the port connection from the terminal before openeing APRSIS32.
Have you looked at the port logs when using APRSIS32 connected to the MFJ-1270X?

Unfortunately a KISS TNC is not easy to interface to directly.  You could try going through AGWpe and using AGWTermTCP and AGWMonitor to trouble shoot the TNC interface.  Available at: SV2AGW Applications and Services

About 2/3 of the way down is AGWTermTCP and AGWMoinitor.  The free AGWpe version (not pro) if you are just testing it.  I'd go to the PRO version if you want to use that as the interface in a perminant setup.

  Choose
  Select Port: COM1:
  Serial/modem BaudRate 9600
  Tnc Type: TAPR TNC2
  Tnc Sub Type KISS Simple      then delete InitKiss1, InitKiss2,and InitKiss3 commands.  Uncheck Exit Kiss On Exit
  SinglePort

To start with, you can use AGWTerm and AGWMonitor to test all the settings on the TNC (both TX and RX can be done through AGWTerm) and make sure that part is working.  Once that is working, you can change the APRSIS32 port to AGW type (localhost:8000) and leave AGWMonitor running.  If AGWMonitor has data, it should also show in APRSIS32.  With all that working, you can eliminate AGW apps all together and set APRSIS32 to the COM1: 9600.

I find them very handy for troubleshooting KISS TNCs.

On Sunday, November 10, 2019, 9:29:49 AM EST, Gurdon Wolfe via Groups.Io <w4gcw@...> wrote:

Hi Rob, I appreciate your reply. Equipment here is an MFJ-1270X powered via serial cable and a Yaesu FT2600.
I'm able to see received packets via the yellow light on the tnc and the signal bar on the radio as well as hearing
the signal. However nothing appears on the screen. When I hit transmit, nothing happens, no red light on the tnc
or the radio. The tnc is set to com1 9600, n,8,1, as well as the settings in APRSIS32. All cables are commercially
made. On Lynn's advice, I connected the tnc to a terminal program and verified by looking at the received text
that the tnc was in kiss mode.

 73, Don
 W4GCW

Where am I? Click link below.
https://aprs.fi/#!call=a%2FW4GCW-9&timerange=3600&tail=3600

On Saturday, November 9, 2019, 08:11:54 PM EST, Rob Giuliano via Groups.Io <kb8rco@...> wrote:

Is the TNC in question the MFJ-1270X?
You state MFJ-1279X in another email and I couldn't find that.

You don't state if there are any LEDS on, but I will assume you are powering the TNC-X (MFJ-1270X) through the USB port.
  Green LED ON?
  Does the RED TX LED come on when you start up APRSIS32? (Usually starts by sending a packet over RF)?
  Hop about the receive/DCD LED?

Is the radio an HT or mobile style and are you using a homemade or MFJ cobale between them?

The MFJ-1270X is the same as the TNC-X and is only capable of KISS mode, so the APRSIS32 port should be Simply(KISS).
This is such a simply device that there are only a few settings to be concerned with:
   Baud rate - set with jumpers inside the case.  Must match APRSIS32 port settings.
                      I recommend "all off" for 19200 baud.  Default is both opn at 1200 baud - same as on air
  USB - JP4 to power  NC through USB (pins 2 & 3), JP3 to use USB data lines (not DB9 on back of TNC)

JP5 connects the data pins to the internbal parts or a daughter board (X-version has no daughter board, so these should be on 1,2 (together) and 3,4 (together) shorted with jumpers.

John Hanson at TNC-X is a great source, even if you bought it through MFJ.  It is his designed.
I have several and have not had any issues.  My home station runs one, and I have a very old version before he designed any case.
Knowing the status of the LEDs when receiving and transmitting can be of great help.

On Saturday, November 9, 2019, 11:51:41 AM EST, Gurdon Wolfe via Groups.Io <w4gcw@...> wrote:

Lynn,
  It's looking like the problem is with the tnc. I downloaded Pin Point APRS software and
had the same results, no tx or rx with either program. I'm going to take the tnc out of kiss
and see it it works in terminal mode. Then I'll put it back into kiss and see if it works.

 73, Don
 W4GCW

On Saturday, November 9, 2019, 07:19:04 AM EST, Gurdon Wolfe via Groups.Io <w4gcw@...> wrote:

Good morning Lynn,
  I've verified that the tnc is in KISS mode. What's next?
Thanks.
73, Don