Re: Download and install

Rob Giuliano

Is the TNC in question the MFJ-1270X?
You state MFJ-1279X in another email and I couldn't find that.

You don't state if there are any LEDS on, but I will assume you are powering the TNC-X (MFJ-1270X) through the USB port.
  Green LED ON?
  Does the RED TX LED come on when you start up APRSIS32? (Usually starts by sending a packet over RF)?
  Hop about the receive/DCD LED?

Is the radio an HT or mobile style and are you using a homemade or MFJ cobale between them?

The MFJ-1270X is the same as the TNC-X and is only capable of KISS mode, so the APRSIS32 port should be Simply(KISS).
This is such a simply device that there are only a few settings to be concerned with:
   Baud rate - set with jumpers inside the case.  Must match APRSIS32 port settings.
                      I recommend "all off" for 19200 baud.  Default is both opn at 1200 baud - same as on air
  USB - JP4 to power  NC through USB (pins 2 & 3), JP3 to use USB data lines (not DB9 on back of TNC)

JP5 connects the data pins to the internbal parts or a daughter board (X-version has no daughter board, so these should be on 1,2 (together) and 3,4 (together) shorted with jumpers.

John Hanson at TNC-X is a great source, even if you bought it through MFJ.  It is his designed.
I have several and have not had any issues.  My home station runs one, and I have a very old version before he designed any case.
Knowing the status of the LEDs when receiving and transmitting can be of great help.

On Saturday, November 9, 2019, 11:51:41 AM EST, Gurdon Wolfe via Groups.Io <w4gcw@...> wrote:

Lynn,
  It's looking like the problem is with the tnc. I downloaded Pin Point APRS software and
had the same results, no tx or rx with either program. I'm going to take the tnc out of kiss
and see it it works in terminal mode. Then I'll put it back into kiss and see if it works.

 73, Don
 W4GCW

On Saturday, November 9, 2019, 07:19:04 AM EST, Gurdon Wolfe via Groups.Io <w4gcw@...> wrote:

Good morning Lynn,
  I've verified that the tnc is in KISS mode. What's next?
Thanks.
73, Don