KAM-XL symbol (was: GPS Setup SOLVED)

Lynn Deffenbaugh

What particular station was showing a boat vs a red dot?  I'd like to track down and explain the choice of symbol.

On 10/21/2019 3:55 AM, Julian wrote:
Hi Brandon, I haven't experimented with APRSISCE GPS yet, but programs working with NMEA normally pick up the GPGGA and GPRMC data as these strings contain position, altitude, speed etc. As long as the GPS (possibly GLONASS) unit TXes these strings everything should be OK: https://www.gpsinformation.org/dale/nmea.htm   https://youtu.be/AXwSYz6htsg
I can see you have got a Fix Quality of 2 in the GGA string which is very good. I am no expert in GPS, but I had to learn few things, forced by the hobby... I have experimented with Kantronics KAM-XL where you can find a similar setup, GPS wise. What I have noticed is that APRSISCE shows the KAM-XL GPS waypoins with a boat symbol (I am assuming it could because boats use a similar format in their positioning system?), aprs.fi on the other hand shows them correctly as waypoints (red dot). aprsdirect.com doesn't show them at all ( I learned aprsdirect.com doesn't show APRS Items either). aprs.fi won't show waypoints with a poor Fix Quality aka zero.
Good luck and regards,73 de J M0IPU YO3FCA