Re: Tile fetching

James Ewen

I’ve been able to fetch tiles for the whole province of Alberta right down to street level manually within about 5 minutes maximum.

That’s a fairly large area in a short amount of time, and with a fairly slow network access. Define “forever”.

There is no way to fetch tiles via RF on the APRS network. One tile would overwhelm the network for many minutes, let alone hundreds of tiles.

James
VE6SRV

On Oct 1, 2019, at 12:39 AM, vince vince83687@... [aprsisce] wrote:

Yes Lynn and group.

Yea how could this be done offline. Can one retrieve tiles by way of RF in the software program?
Thanks
---
-During World War 1 & 2. Hams could not do what in the USA?
- In the movie Contact, what was Ellie's CallSign?
73 Vince KD7TWW ":>
Thank you for your reply...

On Mon, Sep 30, 2019 at 11:31 PM Frederic Thisdele ve2onr@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@...> wrote:

Hi group and Lynn,

This sathurday, I'll be using APRSIS32 offline (without internet access) for an national earthquaqe exercice and need to fetch tiles for an entire region. Is there a way to fetch othen than having to scroll the region before leaving? Having to scroll 4 x 6 miles square at different levels is taking quite some time. Multiply this by 3 different tile set (osm, world street maps and world imagery), I'll be here for ever.

I would love to be able to fetch my entire region but what will be the volume of tiles and how much space it will take on the pc hard drive. I think tiles are plain images compare to maps that are vector images..

Thanks for any solutions.

73

Fred VE2ONR