Re: APRSISCE/TN-D710 set-up

Randy Allen

I've been walking a couple of hams through this recently and finally found time to write up what I have found to work. When I get a chance I'll add screen shots and post to the files section. Hope this helps:

First, read this page on the APRSIS32 Wiki: http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/port:kenwood-tm-d710

Computer Set Up:

Check the baud rate of the COM port you will be using in device manager

Radio Set Up:

Menu 604: COM Port. Set to ON

Menu 929 (AUX, COM PORT, BAUD RATE) Set it to match the baud rate for the computer COM port

Menu 601: INTERNAL TNC, DATA SPEED. That should be set to 1200 bps for APRS work on VHF.

Set TNC to APRS12 or PACKET12 depending on the APRSIS32 port you will be using (see below)

Radio to computer connection.

Connect the data cable being used (such as the Kenwood PG5g) to the computer and the port on the Control Head, not the body of the radio. The port on the body is only for programming the radio (memories, settings, etc.), Echo Link, and connecting with an HF rig. The TNC resides in the control head and that's what that port is for.

APRSIS32 Setup

For the D710, there are 2 pre-canned ports that can set up: KWD710(APRS) and KWD710(PKT).

KWD710(APRS) maintains the radio's internal APRS and GPS features and passes data to the computer. The radio maintains control of transmissions. See full details at the Wiki page linked above.

KWD710(PKT) turns off the radio's APRS features and give full control of the TNC to the computer. In this mode GPS data from the radio is not available.

You start by creating a port: Configure; Ports, New Port.

Use the Type drop down box to select what type of port you are creating. (I would create one of each to make it easier to switch between the different modes with the D710). Name the port whatever you want to find it quickly later.

Click the Create button, then click on the COMn Serial button on the next pop up screen

Set the Port number and Baud rate in the Port Configuration pop up to match the baud rate of the computer's COM port and the COM port on the radio. ( leave the Parity, Data and Stop bits as default, they are pretty standard these days). Click OK.

Make any changes you want to the Port settings (as described in the D710 Wiki page) and click on Accept. (note: the RF Baud is grayed out and fixed at 1200, it has nothing do with the Com port settings)

You set which port you want to use by going to Enables, Ports and clicking on the desired port, putting a check mark next to it. You disable it by clicking on it again and removing the check mark. Match the radio TNC Mode (PACKET12 or APRS12) to the port you are using.

he ports and radio TNC settings are a matched pair.

Use the 710 APRS port when the radio set to APRS12

Use the 710 Packet port when the radio is set to PACKET12

For diagnostic purposes I set the scroller to show RF stations only to ensure that I am not seeing stations coming in from an internet connection: Configure; Scroller; check RF Only.

Having an APRS handheld radio (such as my TH-D74) is handy to ensure everything is working and to troubleshoot, particularly if you are in a location with limited RF APRS activity.

Randy KAƘAZS