Re: Development mode

James Ewen

The high tech key to unlock the development version is changing a zero to a one in a file.

If that process is too difficult to complete, then the features in the development version may be too advanced to be accessed by the user.

Think of it as a test of “worthiness”, kind of like the sword in the stone, or Thor’s hammer.

(By the way this is written in humour, not as a slight on anyone)

Seriously though, it’s not rocket science to read the instructions on accessing development mode. If you are after functions available in development mode, you really need to understand what you are going to be doing, especially with the IS to RF gating. You can destroy the RF channel for hundreds of miles for everyone by setting it up improperly.

Invest the time required to understand what you are wanting to play with, and read the wiki on how to unlock development mode.

Development mode is not for appliance operators. (Do I sound like an old crotchety ham radio operator? They were really old when I got into ham radio 30 years ago. I hope I’m not there yet!)

James
VE6SRV

On Sep 5, 2019, at 6:19 AM, shoan butler kn4txm@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@...> wrote:

Ok, i understand that part but what do i do? What's the process? I'm do not know computer code or what I'm looking for???? What is the latest version? How do i change it? What do i change to get what I'm looking for? Doesn't this system just have on and off buttons or do i need a degree in computer science to unlock it's features???? The wiki doesn't accommodate the average person that is not code savvy. Very frustrating! Waiting for a reply. Thanks.

On Thu, Sep 5, 2019 at 12:02 AM, Rob Giuliano kb8rco@... [aprsisce]
<aprsisce@...> wrote:

Truth is that the development mode is what almost everyone runs.
The release version is very old, but the development version has features that can be kind of tricky to use.
By that I mean you can configure it to pass too much traffic and cause problems.  For that reason it remains "development".  That way it at least makes people more cautious about using the more advanced features, not found in the full release.

So, if you want to experiment with some of the advanced features (mainly passing IS to RF for sure), post your ideas and get feedback as you try them.  That will get you the info on the gotchas that could be lurking.

On Wednesday, September 4, 2019, 10:21:30 PM EDT, shoan butler kn4txm@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@...> wrote:

Hi all, when I try to track satellites by entering Ctrl + O the system rejects it stating that I can only execute this in development mode. Where do I even start????

Sent from Mail for Windows 10