Re: APRS

Rob Giuliano

Both Lynn and Jeff have provided sound card modem programs and Jeff gave instructions on the APRSIS32 port type.

I will add:

You mention "monitoring" APRS, so if you are looking at receive only, A simple RTL2832U Software Defined Radio dongle will work great for the radio receiver, but as an IGATE, it is recommended that your station have TX capability.

To add TX:
  If your radio does not have VOX, you will need a PTT circuit in order to get you radio to transmit.
  There are many options, but search the internet to see what those many options are, and find one that you can use.

TX ease is probably the the only thing the Vintage 1980s TNC has that is "a little extra work" when using a PC and sound card.

On Sunday, August 11, 2019, 9:01:46 PM EDT, Joe nss@... [aprsisce] wrote:

Hello Everyone,

What I am about to ask below, if it has recently been asked and
answered, please accept my apology.  I have zero access to the web page
with all the old messages and I just joined this afternoon.

I'm getting back into APRS after a long absence. And I was talking to a
guy that still does it and I asked him this.

APRS,  with modern computers and all the fancy stuff you see they can do
now.

Is there a way to monitor APRS with just a computer and soundcard?

I mean what can be in a old vintage 1980's TNC that can not be done with
a computer program and soundcard instead?

And he sent me to this program..
I installed it and got it up and running. I even saw my Home computer on
aprs.fi,  so it's working.

NOW,,, If I have audio from 144.39  how do I put it into this program?

Joe WB9SBD

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: