Re: Need some information.

Lynn Deffenbaugh

First, when asking for assistance, it is always good to provide the full station ID of the instance you are asking about.  I see W7DXJ has 2 KPC-3 digipeaters (-1 and -12) and had 2 instances of APRSIS32 running yesterday (W7DXJ and W7DXJ-3).  It's good that the -SSIDs are unique, but which one are you planning to keep operating as the IGate?

The symbol that is displayed for a station is configurable.  The default for APRSIS32 is the computer.  To change this, click the computer symbol in Configure / General and select whatever symbol you want to use.  For the black-diamond with an I overlay, select the Overlay Table, Symbol 38, and Overlay 73 as shown in the following screen capture.

But apparently the black diamond I is deprecated.  According to http://www.aprs.org/symbols/symbols-new.txt, here's the symbol recommendations in APRS 1.2:

GATEWAYS: #&

/& = HF Gateway <= the original primary table definition

I& = Igate Generic (please use more specific overlay)

R& = Receive only IGate (do not send msgs back to RF)

P& = PSKmail node

T& = TX igate with path set to 1 hop only)

W& = WIRES-X as opposed to W0 for WiresII

2& = TX igate with path set to 2 hops (not generally good idea)

So pick the appropriate symbol from this list.

Now, on to IGating, do you have an RF port configured?  If so, what type and what TNC do you have connected, and have you verified that the TNC can communicate with the radio and decode packets outside of APRSIS32?  If you have a KPC-3+, it is recommended NOT to run it in KISS mode for extended periods of time.  Please read: https://packet-radio.net/kantronics-kpc3-kiss-considered-harmful/  Although further testing shows that if you tie the handshaking signals correctly in the cable, the problem does not manifest.

That said, the easiest RF port to configure is a Simply(KISS) type in APRSIS32 and a TNC that is locked into KISS mode.  See also: http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/system:page-tags/tag/tnc

Once you have answered these questions, please fire up the APRSIS32 instance and let me know what callsign-SSID it is using.  There are some remote queries I can do to further diagnose the situation.

On 7/31/2019 9:45 PM, Thomas Hutter k7tjh@... [aprsisce] wrote:
Hello Lynn - KJ4ERJ, I was successful in downloading and installing the aprsisce / 32 software on Dick's W7DXJ, computer. it is now showing up on the aprs if google map as a computer. The plan was to get Dick's I-gate back up on line. It appears that I am missing something to make that happen. The computer is connected to a KPC 3 TNC and a radio but is not passing any incoming data. Is there a driver or some other program that I need to work with, to make that happen. Dicks computer is a Dell i3 with Windows 7 pro OS 64 bit. As I told you before, this is all new to me, so please help. I know that when an I-gate is connected it normally appears as a black diamond with an "I" inside it. The aprsisce /32 software is showing a good instal, so what more do I need to do, thank you.
73,
Tom K7TJH
On Monday, July 29, 2019, 10:36:32 PM MST, Thomas Hutter k7tjh@... [aprsisce] wrote:

Hi Lynn, yes I have done that. I got the program to open with the screen to input your call sign. Then when trying to move the station marker to the proper location on the map. I can only scroll about three times. I get around the state of AZ and the program shuts down. I'm going to try uninstalling and reinstalling fresh, then try again.

I'll let you know how that goes. Thanks for getting back to me.
73,
Tom K7TJH

On Mon, Jul 29, 2019 at 9:24 PM, 'Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)' kj4erj@... [aprsisce]
wrote:

Make sure you have created a new directory and unzipped the download into that directory before double-clicking the .EXE.   Double-clicking from within a .ZIP viewer will NOT work.

On 7/29/2019 7:55 PM, Thomas Hutter k7tjh@... [aprsisce] wrote:
Greetings, I am new to aprsisce and I am trying helping a friend, Dick - W7DXJ, with his I-gate. Dick, has had a few strokes and is not able to do things for himself. So, I am here helping. Dick - W7DXJ, had an I-gate operational at his QTH for years. The computer he was using for his I-gate, crashed and took down the I-gate and all of it's information with it. We have a new computer with an OS of Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. I am in the process of trying to load aprsisce/32 program on to the new computer and having some difficulties, I can get his call sign entered, but when I go to move the station location on the map and zoom in, the program closes.
Any suggestions?
My second question is when I get to the place where I need a pass code, do I need to use Dick's old pass code, which I do not have, or do I apply for a new pass code for Dick W7DXJ?
Any help you can provide would be helpful, thank you.

73,
Tom Hutter - K7TJH
Lake Havasu City, AZ