Re: OSM Tile servers

Lynn Deffenbaugh

Yes, I've had a rendering server running for over 2 years now. Entire planetary database, updated every hour from OSM data.

My server runs in a Ubuntu VMWare VM on my Windows server.  The VM has access to 6 cores, 6GB RAM, and 5 SSDs totalling 1.5TB of space distributed over several logical volume manager volumes with various database tables on each volume to distribute the I/O load.  The smallest SSD (111GB) is dedicated to holding the flatnodes file (for those that are familiar with OSM tile rendering servers).

So, the rendering is slow because it's not a screaming machine nor does it have access to loads of RAM (the server only has 24GB), but the biggest bottleneck is my outbound Internet bandwidth.  I've got 25.7Mbps down, but only 6.44Mbps up (just measured at speedtest.net).

Oh, and I recently moved my Ethereum test and main network clients into that VM.  Parity and geth are much more stable under Ubuntu than they were under Windoze.

If you want to see the munin performance graphs of the tile server, check out the following URL:

http://ldeffenb.dnsalias.net:14171/munin/localdomain/localhost.localdomain/index.html

(Ignore the Master Bath Hot Water temp, that's another whole story!)

PS.  If you want to set up your own OSM tile server, the instructions are at:

https://switch2osm.org/

And some notes about my next-to-last (re)build of the tile server is on the Wiki at:

http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/tile-server

On 5/29/2019 11:43 AM, Pedja YT9TP @yt9tp [aprsisce] wrote:
On 29.05.2019 15:56, 'Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)' kj4erj@...
[aprsisce] wrote:
If you want to download large areas of tiles for offline use, you can
set up a Configure / Map / Tile Set pointing to my current OSM tile
server.  It's slow, but it'll eventually deliver your tiles.

Name: LynnsOSM
Server: ldeffenb.dnsalias.net : 14171
Min: 0 Retain:8 Max:20
It seems you have set complete rendering server, not just cache?