Re: messages failing - message lockup

Greg D

I think the suggestion to move to a non-APRS digital channel might be a good one.  If you need a presence on APRS-IS, an iGate at the top of the hill could do that.  I'm involved in some large events, where we use both voice and Winlink on VHF.  A good bit of effort is spent optimizing channel usage, both voice and data, to improve reliability, and it really helps.

Greg  KO6TH

James Ewen ve6srv@... [aprsisce] wrote:

W6TCP looks like a digi you might be trying to use. I can't tell if it is listening on 144.390 or not.

Here's what it is listening to on a regular basis.
https://aprs.fi/#!v=heard&call=a%2FW6TCP&timerange=3600&tail=3600

The graphs of activity make me wonder what's going on.

This shows even fewer users which makes me think it's not on 144.390.

WA6ODP-2 looks like it is on 144.390 and hears far too much...

You can see from the graphs that it regularly hears stations out to 100 miles away.

Here's another look at all the digi users.

If you are trying to use these digipeaters to support your event, perhaps you can look at placing digipeaters at these sites on an alternate frequency temporarily and using that instead.

If it hasn't worked for the past two years and you are doing nothing to change the way you are operating, chances are it won't work again this year.

James
VE6SRV

On Wed, May 22, 2019 at 5:52 PM James Ewen <ve6srv@...> wrote:
Here’s the view from an outsider looking in with little information.

If you are wanting to transmit onto 144.390 from a site overlooking SAN Fransisco at 4300 feet ASL, you will need to ignore the input. Easy way to do so is to not connect a receiver to the APRSISCE/32 instance. Transmit blind.. You will clobber other stations and make people mad, but you will never find a quiet time to be able to transmit otherwise.

If you need to receive information from other stations and they are on 144.390, then you’re out of luck for transmitting, unless somehow no one is operating on 144.390.

An alternate solution is to use a frequency that is not over saturated and run all operations on that frequency you will have an empty channel to transmit into, and will likely find that you have far better success with hearing other stations in the quiet rather than trying to pick them out of the noise.

Simple radio concepts that people seem to forget when they work in digital.

If there’s a pile up on HF, do you try to rag chew with your buddy overtop of the pile up, or do you look for a quiet frequency and have a nice chinwag with each other?

You are not locked on 144.390 unless you’re still using a crystal controlled radio.

James
VE6SRV