Sent from Windows Mail

From: aprsisce@...
Sent: ‎Saturday‎, ‎April‎ ‎20‎, ‎2019 ‎4‎:‎09‎ ‎PM
To: aprsisce@...

From what I read, the GPS data is "texted" to a certain destination (ID 5057).   I suspect this migrates through the "magic" of the DMR network interconnects from which Brandmeister extracts it, reformats it into APRS-IS packets, and injects it into the APRS-IS network.  This understanding is derived from the following quotes:

https://groups.io/g/APRS-CANADA/message/4 says

Each DMR radio vendor has their own format for GPS position reporting. This is not an issue for Motorola, Hytera, and Tytera GPS-equipped radios because BrandMeister can pass your report to the dstar.su server for formatting and transfer to APRS.

And

Once registered and set up you should be able to send GPS data to ID 5057
Some radios allow auto send every X minutes others allow you to send your position via a text. Both seem to work well on BM network.

Further, it appears that some level of APRS-IS messaging is also supported.

You can also send and receive messages over APRS by sending a text to 5057
Call sign ssid message

Note capitals for call sign
E.g
2E1AVX hello James
Or
M0JFP-7 hello James

Be aware that if your radio can be configured to auto-send the GPS data, this transmission apparently only contains your DMR ID number and not your amateur radio callsign.  In some countries (like the US), this does not meet the ID requirements of your license.

There is no provision for sending your ham radio call sign along with your position report so unlike with APRS, Part 97 ID requirements are not being met if your radio is making periodic position reports and you are otherwise not conversing and saying your call sign at the required times. Please take this into consideration if you activate GPS position reporting in your DMR radio and take action to stay in compliance.

On 4/20/2019 4:55 PM, Greg D ko6th.greg@... [aprsisce] wrote:
<TinFoilHat_mode>

Wait, you had to go to their website to enable the GPS to work??  I am really puzzled as to the data path those GPS coordinates take to get to aprs-is.  Concerned, perhaps.  Is Brandmeister tracking you through their site somehow?  Does the radio have a cell modem inside?

</TinFoilHat_mode>

Greg  KO6TH

kf0ed@... [aprsisce] wrote:

I don’t believe this radio is capable of true APRS, more like a beacon only transmission.
It’s similar to my AnyTone 868 DMR radio with the built-in GPS feature.

Even after the purchase of my 868, the built-in GPS wasn’t available until a later issued firmware update. After
that was loaded and I turned on the GPS “switch” on the radio itself, I still had to go to my established Brandmeister
account Dashboard and enable things to make the GPS reporting work. This is where one would choose
their APRS symbol.

All that accomplishes is to allow the 868’s GPS signal to migrate onto the APRS-IS backbone and show up on
APRS.FI, APRSDIRECT.COM and FindU. That’s all that happens.

Hope this clarifies, maybe, hopefully the answers. Hey, correct me if I’m wrong!

73,
Glenn-KF0ED

Sent from Windows Mail