Re: GPS Week number rollover bug issues?

Randy Love

About the GPS rollover bug, the document says that it happens every 1024 weeks, starting from 1 January 1980 0000z. So,  this has happened once already, around 21 December 1999. The Y2K bug was all the rage then, but I don't recall widespread GPS issues. The upcoming April 2019 rollover probably won't be an issue either.

The document specifically comments on deriving time from the signals, not location information. It would seem if there would be a location issue, it would only be during the exact millisecond of the rollover, and would self-correct within the next few seconds. Non-critical for most civilian use.

So, unless you're using a GPS to control multimillion dollar stock trades that faithful moment in April 2019, you should be fine.

But, then again, I invoke the Dennis Miller clause here. "That's just my opinion. I could be wrong."

Awaiting the GPS apocalypse of 2019, 73.

Randy
WF5X

On Tue, Feb 19, 2019, 8:00 PM 'Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)' kj4erj@... [aprsisce] <aprsisce@... wrote:

Are you sure that you have unzipped the APRSIS32.EXE into a newly created empty directory?  The symptom you describe could be the result of simply double-clicking the .EXE from within a .ZIP viewer.  Please also watch the excellent video by G4ILO on the Wiki at:

http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/initial-startup

On 2/19/2019 6:19 PM, n4asx@... [aprsisce] wrote:

I have a WINDOWS 10 computer and when I try to install APRS SI it get a block of white on the middle of the screen and cannot adjust it.  My computers are 64 bit machines.  Any idea what I’m doing wrong.

73 Rick

N4ASX