From: aprsisce@...
Sent: 21 January 2019 23:29
To: aprsisce@...
Subject: [aprsisce] Non-positive altitude (was: Tile Set Flush Fixed)

I purposely suppress negative altitudes because they are not aprs101.pdf spec compliant.

Altitude in Comment Text — The comment may contain an altitude value,
in the form /A=aaaaaa, where aaaaaa is the altitude in feet. For example:
/A=001234. The altitude may appear anywhere in the comment.

If signed numbers were supported, I'm sure the format would not be presented as "aaaaaa".  It's even worse with compressed position reports as the altitude is encoded in Base91 after going through some math.  I did have an original bug whereby the altitude wasn't zero-filled which caused APRSISCE/32 altitude reports to be flagged as errors in other APRS applications.  Specs are there to ensure cross-application compatibility.

Note: I also live barely above sea level and have seen negative altitude coming from my GPS.  In that case, APRSISCE/32 simply drops the altitude from the transmitted format, even if enabled.  Actually, zero is also dropped.  The altitude must be > 0.0 in order to be included in a beacon.

On 1/21/2019 6:16 PM, ARNOLD HARDING kq6di@... [aprsisce] wrote:

That appears to have fixed it!  Now it works like it did in the past.

Now, please add to the wish list, please show negative altitudes from position reports.  I only live at 22', so testing a tracker before an event is always a guess if the altitude portion is working.  Then again, we do have some negative altitudes in California (Death Valley).

Some events near me go over a 4200' mountain, and the best way to tell how close to the top they are is with altitude, but it's nice to make sure it's working first...

Thanks again, Arnold

KQ6DI

On January 21, 2019 at 3:01 PM "'Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)' kj4erj@... [aprsisce]" wrote:

There is a new Development release posted that fixes the recently report
Tile Set Flush crash.  Thanks go to Arnold KQ6DI for discovering and
(possibly re-)reporting this issue.

PS.  For those C developers out there, "%I64lu" is not a valid format
specifier for unsigned 64 bit numbers, it should be (and now is)
"%I64u".  Tile Set Flush is the only place in APRSIS32 that I had it
worng (sic).