Re: Passcode

Rob Giuliano

Eric,
These responses are being posted to the APRSISce yahoo group.  I don't see where you are "being mixed up with anyone else".  You are just seeing these multiple responses.  They are not addressed to you directly.  Because they are posted to a larger group, others have posted related questions and comments which are also responded to. 

If you no longer want to receive these postings from the group, please Unsubscribe
  You may also choose ther options for monitoring the group by visiting your groups and selecting different options.

Sorry if this is confusing, and I am VERY surprised you never got a response to your passcode request. 
Requests are typically sent to aprsisce-owner@... with callsign and name as assigned to the callsign.  These requests processes and responded to off this list (except by accident) so the callsign / passcode pair is not sent to a general mailing list.  This is in accordance with the APRS-IS request (taken from APRSIS32 WIKI): 
Note that since http://www.aprs-is.net/Connecting.aspx states the following (emphasis theirs), only APRSISCE/32 users can get an APRS-IS passcode following the instructions above.
It is the responsibility of each software author to provide the proper passcode to their individual users.
In the case of Brian Collins (below), the original request was made to the "owner group".  The response was sent to him and the "owner" group.  He replied to the "owner" group or the person who full filled the request with an additional question.  The response to that question was posted to this group so everyone could benefit form the answer.

When someone asks a question, ther are usually others who read it and it helps them as well. 

This request process through the application developer really is the only check to ensure those accessing the internet service (which may get onto RF) are licensed.  This is in accordance with the APRS-IS system request.  We strongly discourage the existance and use of these online passcode tools. 

Robert Giuliano
KB8RCO

To: "aprsisce@..."
Sent: Sunday, January 13, 2019 11:54 AM
Subject: Re: [aprsisce] Re: Passcode

Please stop you're either responding to multiple people at the same time or you have me mixed up with someone else I tried to contact this group to get a passcode I have a call sign and I was never given the passcode or any of the help that I requested so I went online found the tool to generate the passcode without your help and I'm now online and doing fine I do not require any further assistance thank you

On Sat, Jan 12, 2019 at 8:13 PM, Rob Giuliano kb8rco@... [aprsisce]
wrote:

What do you mean by multiple devices?

APRSIS32 does not require the passcode to run.  The passcode is to ensure the user is a licensed amateur operator so that data exchanged between the internet and RF is legal.   So you can install the APRSIS32 on as many devices as you wish.  In order to connect to the internet system, you use your callsign (different ssids) and the passcode provieed (x'ed out here).

You can also connect multiple tnc devices to APRSIS32.  

Cross posred to the group.

On Sat, Jan 12, 2019 at 19:56, Brian Collins
wrote:
Can you have multiple devices or just one?

On Sat, Jan 12, 2019 at 5:06 PM Brian Collins <briancollins1068@...> wrote:
Thank you! 

On Sat, Jan 12, 2019 at 4:52 PM Rob Giuliano <kb8rco@...> wrote:
Passcode for KI5CEY is xxxxxx

This passcode will work for any -SSID (http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/doc:ssids) you choose to use.
Because it is actually the APRS-IS network passcode, it should also work with other APRS-IS client software.

73 de
Robert Giuliano
KB8RCO

From: "Brian Collins briancollins1068@... [aprsisce]" <aprsisce-noreply@...>
To: aprsisce-owner@...
Sent: Saturday, January 12, 2019 5:27 PM
Subject: Passcode

I need a passcode for APRSISCE/32
Callsign is KI5CEY

Join APRSISCE@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.