Re: Recompile for Linux.

Greg D

Hi Larry,

I've used Crossover, but it was quite a while ago and I don't recall exactly how it handles the Registry.  Crossover has the concept of a "bottle", which is kind of a customized Wine environment that's set up on a per-application basis (or is it per application group?), so I suspect that they have a separate set of registry files for each.  The bottles are just subdirectories, if I recall, so a bit of looking around with the file management app of your choice should locate it.  It wouldn't surprise me if the Crossover management app has a way to edit them, too.

For locating the GPS puck, the easiest way is just to plug it in, then check where it landed with the 'dmesg' command.  Should be right at the end.

Good luck!

Greg  KO6TH

Larry Ellsworth - K6KUS k6kusman@... [aprsisce] wrote:

I'm using Crossover. Is this info the same for it or just for wine? the port thing. My TNC will always be com1 as ihat is the port on the mudderboard. the question will be the usb gps puck. it should be com 2 or 3 but I have not plugged it in yet to check. How will I be able to figure out what port it's on?

Larry Ellsworth       K6KUS

On ‎Wednesday‎, ‎December‎ ‎12‎, ‎2018‎ ‎07‎:‎34‎:‎58‎ ‎PM‎ ‎MST, Rob Giuliano kb8rco@... [aprsisce] wrote:

FYI - as Windows gets more particular with where executable files go, WINE just might follow.
  I still recommend creating a dedicated folder in what WINE calls the C:\ drive ('.wine/drive_c').
  I like using 'c:\WinApps' with subfolders for app categories like 'radio', 'communication','utils', etc. , or some other folder structure that avoids C:\Program Files as the base.

A few other "gotchas" to keep in mind:
1. Windows is CaSe INsensitive, but linus is very CASE SENSITIVE!
2.  Spaces are not advised, but can be handled if the path is in quotes.
          You could try escaping them with '%20' (no quotes) which is the space character in hex.
     Another reason to use the folder structure above.
3. Your WINE configuration and Windows applications are typically under a user's folder, so only that user will have access..
    /home/{username}/.wine - registry files are here
        key subfolders are drive_c (which becomes C:) and dosdevices - where the links to the TNC
    I can provide some work arounds for those who feel the need
4. USB devices can change on bootup or for other reasons.
    ln -s /dev/ttyUSB0 ~/.wine/dodevices/com4 will create the desired link to your TNC if it is on ttyUSB0, but
        although /dev/ttyUSB0 may be you TNC today, but an arduino or something else tomorrow
       (depending on what type of USB devices you have connected).
    I have also found that if the device hangs, the attempt to reconnect may cause it to jump to /dev/ttyUSB1

    You may consider udev rules to link your TNC to the proper device.
   This can get a bit involved, but a web search will help, or again, I can provide additional infomration
    I have not used Crossover, so that may be a bit different.