From: "Greg D ko6th.greg@... [aprsisce]"
To: aprsisce@...
Sent: Friday, October 26, 2018 1:09 PM
Subject: Re: [aprsisce] Aprs

I sometimes run YAAC on a Raspberry Pi 2 in my car, linked to my cell phone in hotspot mode for the connection.  Works pretty well.  I recently installed a mobile rig (though only QRP) in the car, so next step should be to get Direwolf running and drop the cell connection.

Xastir is a native Linux application, so I expect it should be possible, if not trivial, to compile it for the ARM platform and run it directly.  Oh, give or take the X-windows bit.  Yeah, that could be a problem...

But if you think back to the very early days of APRSISCE/32, I was one of the first to get APRSIS32 running under Linux/Wine on my underpowered x86 machine.  I did that because Xastir was so horribly slow at rendering the OSM maps, after the Tiger service was turned off.  It would be interesting to see if Xastir has gotten any better in this regard in the intervening years.  Otherwise, it will probably be too painful to use on the Pi too, even natively...

Greg  KO6TH

'Lynn W Deffenbaugh (Mr)' kj4erj@... [aprsisce] wrote:

I've been told that WINE is really slow on the Pi, but I' have also read that some folks have successfully executed xastir on the Pi.

I was successful once in the past at running APRSISMO (under MOAI) on the Pi, but it would be better described as "crawling", not "running".  Screen updates were VERY slow because it was using X instead of native graphics.  I attempted to update MOAI to use the native support, but gave up before being successful.

That said, aprsc, a non-graphical APRS server, was actually tested on the Pi by Hessu (of aprs.fi fame) and AFAIK, he still has several Pis running aprsc in a data center somewhere.

On 10/26/2018 7:35 AM, Adrian Burg ve6tdx@... [aprsisce] wrote:
Hey guys.
Has anyone ever tried to run aprs on a pi3 ? I just picked one up and i am playing with it right now. I put castor on and give it a try. It worked fine.
Thanks.
Adrian, ve6tdx