From: "Lynn W. Deffenbaugh" <kj4erj@arrl.net>

To: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

Date: 02/11/2010 09:04 AM

Subject: Re: [aprsisce] APRSIS32 Tracking

Sent by: aprsisce@yahoogroups.com

Jerome Lofton wrote:

I Just used the "Click --> Center" Tracking" functionality today for
the first time ... great feature to be able to lock onto a specific SSID.
Actually, on APRSIS32, you can just right click on a station and it
start tracking center on him. Either way, the client also adds a Friend
Range filter when you're tracking someone using the normally configured
range. That way if s/he/it travels beyond your normal circle, you'll
still get the updates as well as stations around them.

If you add b/CALL* filters to your Add Filter string (space delimited
where CALL is the prefix of the call you want to track or the entire
callsign without the *), the client will reverse-video those stations in
the scrolling station window.

For instance, here's the filter I run on KJ4ERJ-AP:

b/KJ4DXK* b/KJ4ERJ* b/KJ4OVQ* u/APWW*/APWM* b/W4SGC* b/AF3K

Read more about filters at http://www.aprs-is.net/javAPRSFilter.aspx

I was tracking a friends progress on his flight in his airplane.
That AF3K in my buddy filter is a cool boat that I was tracking as it
went down the Intercoastal Waterway on the Atlantic side of Florida.
Really a cool boat. We had dinner with the owners when they were here
after I tracked them down the coast from Jacksonville. See their boat
at: http://lnvt.wikidot.com/hull-63

Is there a way to save the tracking log so that I can forward it to
him as reference for his speed & path ?
Unfortunately no. But that's a really good idea! The program actually
buffers tracks for ALL stations which is why you see the lines all the
time and get dots for the recent positions of the centered station.
Maybe just a new popup menu option to "Save Track" that's only there if
there's a sufficiently interesting number of points. I'll add that to
the list right after I learn how to write out GPX files of your own
track! It'd be a simple extension of that one.

Lynn (D) - KJ4ERJ

PS. Sneak peek for those that read this far. I'm planning to support
"track in separate window" in some future release of the Win32 client.
The additional window would be only a map and scale bar, but will
otherwise behave like the main window. Then you can keep one window
zoomed out for the local APRS picture while putting up a "picture in
picture" (if you position the windows correctly) of the details of one
or more interesting stations.

Thanks,
Jerome
WD4CWG